adding shower in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

glalonde

Reaction score
Hi,

edited: This was posted on another forum but better explained here:

I've had a basement rough-in put in place in 1994 (refer to drawing below). It consists of a sink drain (also connected to a vent), which is connected to a toilet drain. The toilet drain is connected to a sewage tank of ~26" dia. x 3' deep, which is also vented. This sewage tank is for a future lift station (there's no sewage pump yet). The actual septic tank is outside the house but higher than the basement. All the drains are under the basement concrete floor.
This rough-in passed inspection.

Note that although the picture shows the toilet and the sink, these are not present. Everything is roughed-in i.e. there's no walls yet, no ceiling, therefore the 2 existing vents are easily accessible.

I would like to add a shower which was not part of the original rough-in. This will require breaking the cement floor and adding a pipe with ‘P’ trap.

Can I bring the pipe directly from the shower to the sewage tank ?
I will need to drill a hole on the side of the sewage tank, and connect and seal the pipe around it.
If so, do I need a vent since the pipe length will be only ~25" between both ‘open-air’ ends and since this will be a stand-alone pipe (no other pipes will be connected to it, therefore no siphon problems cause by the other drain).

Or, do I need to connect it to the existing drain (assuming that no more than one drain can go to the sewage tank) ? In this case, I do understand that I would need to vent it, to prevent siphon problems when flushing the toilet.

Thanks, Guillaume

bathroom_plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would connect the shower to the wc drain, making sure you vent it.
You would use a wye fitting off of the toilet drain, and the vent would also be a wye and 45 fitting.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
In our neck of the woods we are required to have vent from the sewage
pit sepretly out the roof.your codes may be different. I would tie in to
the line coming w/c.Also Iwould revent the shower drain.This should be
done in 2" pipe.A 2" ejecter pump is required.Vent from s/d can be 1.5".
Check your local codes.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tin into the pit

You look like you got a good plan

all that really needs to be done is dig the line to either the
side of the pit or to the 3 inch line from the toilet
and then right back behind the shower throw a 2 inch wye on its back for a re-vent for the shower

thenrun that new 2 inch vent up 36 inches and tie back into the main vent comming out of the sweage pit.. that is more than large enough to
accomidate it

It does looks like a closer run just to tie into the side of
the pit with a 2 inch line, but if their is a lot of
SURFACE WATER and your hole is not selaed tight
you could end up with that
water eventually leaching into the pit...

have fun

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks