Need Suggestions to Repair Crack in Greenboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Denny

Reaction score
Greetings - I would like to gain your collective assistance on how to best repair a crack in a greenboard wall in a bathroom. The house is 65 years old, superbly built and during the past 10 years that I have lived in the house, the top part of the wall (non-tiled) with the greenboard remains horizontally cracked. It happens to be the wall that has the shower handles & faucet. This crack has remained the same since I moved in 10 years ago and after living with the peeling paint for a decade, I have decided to take action!

I was thinking about using waterproof caulking for the crack, then tape, covered by a water-resistant compound, then cover with Kiltz (oil-based primer) and then, a final coat of mildew resistant paint. I'm planning to replace the greenboard in about 5 years (when I can afford it) but for now, I need to make sure I'm on the right track.

Does this strategy sound okay or would I make a unattractive problem worse?
Thanks in advance for providing your suggestions! Denny

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the greenboard where it gets wet? If not, then just fix it normally with tape and drywall compound, then paint. If it gets wet, greenboard shouldn't have been used in the first place! My unprofessional opinion.

Denny

Reaction score
Thanks Jim

Jim:

Thanks for your posting - the shower area is tiled about 50-60 inches up the wall, then the remaining wall to the ceiling is greenboard that is painted over with oil-based paint. The wall does not get 'wet' directly (the tile usually does), but the wall does get 'sweaty' after a shower due to moisture. I have a fan that dries things up in about 15 minutes.

Based on your response - it sounds as though my strategy may seem a bit like overkill, but you think that I won't do any damage by caulking, taping, compounding. priming and painting?

Denny

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Greenboard once you put a nail through it is not much better than standard drywall. I'd just fix it like a normal drywall crack, then put a good primer on, and top coat of finish...my unprofessional opinion.

Denny

Reaction score
Thanks Jim!

Jim:

Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it! Based on your suggestion - I'll tackle this project this month.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks