Re piping with PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Time1992

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old home with galvanized water pipes and will be re-piping with pex. We are on a well and the main comming into the house is gal. What type of connection adapter do I use ? pipe is 1 in. Also is there anyone that can give me direction on installation for the system if I spell out my system. Thanks, Tim. ( oh yea, we are in central Ca. re: code issues.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Any plumbing supply house will have a pex barb by iron pipe thread adapter. I don't know if any of the big box stores will carry one in 1" though.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Zurn Pex and Zurn Industries Relating to Failure of PEX Plumbing Systems in Homes.

ST. PAUL, Minn., Aug. 10, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Homeowners in Minnesota have filed a class action lawsuit in federal district court against the manufacturer of residential plumbing systems. The homeowners, Denise and Terry Cox from Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, started the nationwide class action against Zurn Pex, Inc. and Zurn Industries after brass plumbing fittings used in their home's PEX plumbing system failed shortly after completion of their new home. The failures caused water and other damage at the Cox home.

PEX plumbing systems involve flexible plastic plumbing tubes (as opposed to the more common copper plumbing systems) that are attached to brass fittings throughout the plumbing system. "PEX" is a generic term for cross linked polyethylene -- the material used to make the plastic piping. PEX plumbing systems are the newest generation of non-copper plumbing systems coming into favor after the plumbing industry stopped selling the failure-prone polybutylene pipe systems.

According to Cox's attorney, Shawn Raiter, the problems with Zurn's brass fittings can cause significant damage to homes. "Water damage from a total failure, or even a slow leak, can cause serious damage. A large percentage of the brass fittings in a typical residential PEX system are hidden behind drywall or between floors. If undetected, water damage from a leaking fitting can even lead to mold, which in turn can pose a health risk."

Over the last six years, Zurn has reportedly sold 139 million of the brass PEX fittings. Because of the premature failures, certain Zurn distributors have subsequently requested and received refunds for the brass fittings. In fact, according to Raiter, Zurn no longer recommends installation of the brass fittings in certain geographic areas. Yet, Zurn currently denies that these failures will continue, much like its predecessor U.S. Brass did before filing bankruptcy because of litigation related to its polybutylene systems.

Some plumbers have had 150 or more claims related to failed Zurn fittings. And while Zurn initially honored its warranty and covered the damage caused by the failed brass fittings, the company stopped paying claims, leaving homeowners to pay for the damage themselves.

The Cox's lawsuit seeks to include the claims of all owners of Zurn PEX systems with brass fittings in the United States. The Cox's are seeking damages to pay for the complete replacement of all brass Zurn fittings for PEX systems, regardless of whether those fittings have already failed, as a way to prevent damage caused by future leaks and failures.

The lawyers for the Cox's recommend that owners' properties with Zurn PEX systems contact them to discuss their rights. "It is important that consumers are aware of this lawsuit. If consumers provide their contact information, we can keep them informed about the status of the litigation. Also, if the lawsuit is successful -- by settlement or judgment -- contact information can help us notify consumers how to obtain their share of any recovery," said Shawn Raiter.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the more things change , the more they stay the same

It wasnt long ago that we had a big debate about how long
it would take before the next big de-bacle bigins

like back years ago with the polybuteline

I now sort of wonder wether Zurn will end up going bankrupt over their mass exposure with PEX...

they dont have the deep pockets like ShellOil did back
in the 80s

Pex ---its the greatest stuff since sliced bread...

I wonder who will be next big compnay that will
have to cough up tons of money to get out of their
grand pex experiemnt

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Interesting convos

I spent my entire day yesterday down in Lexington KY serving my time for my credit hours in regards to my backflow license.

There was 139 of us ranging from water purveyors, plumbers, water district workers, maintenance men of large companies (Dow Corning, Toyota, Kentucky University to name a few) that look forward to the BGCCPA every year.

I also was sitting next to a plumbing wholesaler who deals with products
continously and this guy was already aware of the issues with ZURN.

We had speakers from Watts (I was given a FR500 and the great rep has me 6 N55's coming after explaining how many I put in and how I'm having issues with them going bad) Ames, Arco engineering, Midwest Backflow and a few others.

Had representatives of backflow associations from West Virginia, Tenessee, and Michigan along with speakers from the AWWA and KWA.

This was the first year we've never discussed in detail the history of cross-connections but rather the forseeable future of our aging water distribution systems that tie into the recent happenings involving the bridges/america's infrastructure. A few water purveyors mentioned how many water main breaks they've had this year alone...

trying to figure out if it has to do with crumbing water lines or earth movements. They were mentioning though in regards to 30 some years in the field and not seeing this much repetition.

Here soon in order to have your plumbing license you'll be required to hold that backflow license as well. A very important part of the learning process being a plumber. You have to know all situations considering what you put in your hands daily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks