Installing Ceiling Fan On Vaulted Wood Ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The old ceiling fan was mounted directly to the wood ceiling with no box. (see pic).

Do they make a small, shallow, surface-mounted box that will screw into the wood?
The box needs to be small and shallow so the metal "cap" will cover the box, ball and socket, and all the wires.

Attachments

• Ceiling Fan Box.jpg
    Ceiling Fan Box.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,228
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Bob.

That's exactly what I was picturing in my head, but wasn't sure if anyone made one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look for one rated for a fan. The screw holes in a 'normal' one probably would hold, but the fan rated ones will be beefed up. the stock ones are designed to hold all of a cover, not the 40-50 pounds a fan can weigh not counting the torque when starting up.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would fix something to attach the fan securely to the ceiling, such as screws through or outside the box into the ceiling itself, or by bolting the fan attachment to the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks