Electrical code on Busway to a water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy T

Maint Mrr/electrician
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the code is relating a 600v busway and the distance from a water line? The busway is not water tight.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is no specific clearance that I know of.
Are you concerned the pipe will burst?

Water lines do not pose any specific threats to electrical equipment. Folks are amazed when they hear there is not a ton of clearance required between water piping and electrical equipment.

Randy T

Maint Mrr/electrician
Reaction score
jwelectric said:
There no requirements in the NEC for a distance from water lines

Thanks for the Info, I went thru the code book & could not find anyting on this subject. We are getting ready for a Final and the ast thing I need is to create a Red Tag.

Randy T

Maint Mrr/electrician
Reaction score
hj said:
In that case, you should have asked the question a long time ago, not when the job is done and the inspector is walking up to the door.

I did not know the job was going to be mine until this week. I don't get much notice around here. That has been my loudest arguement about this place.:cool:

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Speedy:

The number ONE reason for busway failures is WATER. The number one reason burst pipes, over flow of floor drains and toilets and slop sinks overflowing.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
BrianJohn said:
The number ONE reason for busway failures is WATER. The number one reason burst pipes, over flow of floor drains and toilets and slop sinks overflowing.
So then why is there no code required separation between pipes and bussways?

Obviously toilets and floor drains are not a concern.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The NEC does not always have rules that fit all problems. In addition this would be VERY difficult to implement, making busway less than acceptable based upon the added cost of isolation. In addition moving water pipes would do minimal as when water pipes break water goes where it pleases, I have seen little contractors can do to stop it. In addition I can only tell you what I have experienced, what manufactures, insurance companies and forensics electrical engineers I work with tell me.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The way you are thinking is that the water pipe was installed with a flaw.

The water pipe is not installed so it will burst but instead it is installed to handle the pressure applied.

Should it burst it would be no diffferent than installing a buss under a roof that might leak.

Using you way of thinking I suppose that the duck would need to be installed at least one floor down in case the roof started leaking.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
jwelectric said:
The water pipe is not installed so it will burst but instead it is installed to handle the pressure applied.

Should it burst it would be no diffferent than installing a buss under a roof that might leak.
Pretty much my thinking as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks