Shower leaks when the lower faucet is on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Underwhere

Reaction score
I installed a Pegasus shower head and faucet. The selector is a single handle which does both hot and cold water.

For some reason when I turn the water on (faucet) water travels upwards to the shower head.

This only happens if the water is turned on halfway. When it's fully turned on, the shower head does not drip.

When I look at the cartridge, I can see a clear path from the lower faucet to the upper shower meaning there is no sort of valve in between the two.

Is this normal?
If I turn on the tub faucet to a medium temperature, the shower head will always drip?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's normal on many valves to not include a divertor valve. This requires you to use the right sized pipe to connect things. If the tub spout is restricted at all, the backpressure will allow water to feed up to the showerhead. Do you know what kind and size of pipe connects the valve to spout and to the showerhead?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this, but I won't install Pegasus..I've had trouble when a customer picked it up and I installed it..I just think the internal machining is sloppy.
The only possible thing you might be able to do is what Jim just said...see if you have any restriction in flow to the spout.

Underwhere

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
It's normal on many valves to not include a divertor valve. This requires you to use the right sized pipe to connect things. If the tub spout is restricted at all, the backpressure will allow water to feed up to the showerhead. Do you know what kind and size of pipe connects the valve to spout and to the showerhead?

I'm not using a reducer or anything. I believe is is 1/2 inch.

I believe it is 1/2 NPT coming out of the unit going to a 1/2 sweat fitting.

Then it turns with a 90 degree elbow and comes out of the faucet.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Underwhere said:
I'm not using a reducer or anything. I believe is is 1/2 inch.

I believe it is 1/2 NPT coming out of the unit going to a 1/2 sweat fitting.

Then it turns with a 90 degree elbow and comes out of the faucet.

Just do what I did...take the diverter cartridge back to Home Depot (after calling them)...tell them it's defective and NO..you're not waiting for replacements to be shipped.
The only one I put in, the balancing cartridge ceased after 2 weeks...was working fine, then no hot water when I returned for the finish.
I've done countless Kohlers, Grohe's, Symmons, Moens...a few Delta's...never saw anything cease like that brand new.

Underwhere

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Just do what I did...take the diverter cartridge back to Home Depot (after calling them)...tell them it's defective and NO..you're not waiting for replacements to be shipped.
The only one I put in, the balancing cartridge ceased after 2 weeks...was working fine, then no hot water when I returned for the finish.
I've done countless Kohlers, Grohe's, Symmons, Moens...a few Delta's...never saw anything cease like that brand new.
unfortunately i can't return it because i purchased it during a store closing.

damnit.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Underwhere said:
unfortunately i can't return it because i purchased it during a store closing.

damnit.

Well...hold on now...that doesn't mean you can't get parts...you'll have to call around.

Roachman

Reaction score
I'm a very similar problem in my main floor bath. I thought it was a problem with some mineral build-up in the "generic" tub spout/diverter replacement I picked up several months ago, so I bought an Alson's (1010L). I threaded the new spout on, and it actually made the problem worse! What was a trickle of water out coming out of the shower head, I now have significantly more water flowing without any [intentional] diversion. It's also a half-inch copper feed to the spout... Any thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks