Slow Draining Sink except when AAV is removed...

Users who are viewing this thread

mdistel

Reaction score
If I untwist one of the Oatey Air Admittance valves under either the main kitchen sink or the island sink the sink drains normally. Otherwise I hear gurgling, usually in the island sink. I put a plastic bag over the AAV pipe and unscrewed the AAV, the bag filled with air when I ran the sink. Isn't an AAV supposed to allow air in, not out? What is the likely problem?

Mark

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

YOu are correct in that the AAV lets air in, but not out. That is your problem. Air is being trapped in the pipe, and since the air cannot be vented because of the AAV, the water either cannot drain, or cannot drain very fast.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
mdistel,
If you don't hear a suctioning sound while the vent is in place...replace it.
Look for a "Studor" vent.
If the problem where positive pressure, you'd likely have overspill when the vent were removed.
You could do a simple test by putting your hand over the hole while the sink is draining.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That's not making sense to me, Grumpy.

If the bag's filling with airl... by definition... that's positive pressure, isn't it?

Are you using those words in some specialized, plumber-ese, technical sort of way or something?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
There's likely a mechanical vent there because the drain drops into the floor after the trap.

When the waste water drops, it creates a suction...not positive pressure...without a vent for the vacuum it drains slower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

He already stated that there is an AAV. Suction/vacuum speeds up drainage. Vents stop vacuum thus slowing drainage rate down to whatever the water's head pressure will generate. Positive pressure slows or stops drainage.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I missed the part about the bag filling...geesh.
Ten to one the drain is either undersized, or blocked.

Last edited:

mdistel

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. Both the island and the main sink are vented. I'll have to have a plumber come sank the lines, I tried and didn't get anywhere. Now I need to find a good plumber in the Cleveland area.

Mark

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

For the same reason AAV's are used anywhere. It is cheaper. But if the drain line is plugging, then a bow/loop vent will give the same symptoms as an AAV.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
hj said:
For the same reason AAV's are used anywhere. It is cheaper. But if the drain line is plugging, then a bow/loop vent will give the same symptoms as an AAV.

Right, I keep forgetting mechanical vents are allowed in some states.
Here bow vents are an art...we take pride in them.

If this work was done on the cheap, then I'm putting my money on the common drain being 1-1/2", maybe 1-1/4".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks