abs to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

latexia707

Reaction score
Hello all!

I want to connect a 4" ABS pipe to a 90deg cast iron elbow... my question is pretty simple... HOW do I do so!

When I look at the old cast iron pipe, it's stuck in the elbow and it is filled with lead and under the lead there is some filling material...

So... any pointers?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there is enough length to the cast iron pipe sticking out of the hub, you can rent a snap cutter, cut it off, then use a no-hub connector to attach your abs stuff.

Another alternative is to dig out the old CI from the hub, and use a Fernco dognut, if you can find the right size. basically, it's a compression fit and getting the right size dognut is the chore.

Or, cut the entire hub fixture out and replace with abs, then attach what's left with the no-hub connectors. If this is underground, then you can use the fernco fittings. Both attach in the same way, but the no-hub is required above ground as the metal sleeve keeps the pieces aligned. The fernco needs the soil and proper backfilling to do that task.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks