No Water

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeRett

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone in advance for their advice. I have a problem with my water turning off. The system is a deep well submersible and the water keeps turning off. I have to go to the pressure switch and lift the lever to get it to come back on. The pressure has been adjusted and not fixed the problem. It happens at different times and works fine for a while after it has been "pressured up". The pressure tank and switch are less than a year old. I look forward to any help. I am tired of walking up and down the stairs to turn on the water. Thanks!!

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
What was the Air PSI on the tank?

What is your Pump On pressure set to?

What is your Pump Off Pressure set to?

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have not seen a pressure switch with a "lever". Note that I have limited experience. It kind of sounds like a pressure relief valve. But if that is indeed the pressure switch, and moving the "lever" fixes it; I would suspect the pressure switch.

Maybe you have gotten junk in the switch/pipe. Did you set up the tank pressure properly? Tank empty; set air pressure on the Schader valve to a couple of PSI less than the turn off pressure desired.

R

Rancher

Square D does indeed make a pressure switch with a reset lever, it triggers at about 10 psi less than the cut on pressure.

So the pressure switch is not bad.

I suspect that pressure switch was used in this application because the well driller knew the well could pump dry, which is what is happening.

What you really need is a Pumptec, which will reset itself after the well runs dry.

The Square D Pumptrol which does this has a M4 suffix, it is best used with a Cistern which shouldn't be running dry, however if it does this will save the pump.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
i.e. this switch cuts out if you have low pressure, which means that you have [had] no water for a time. Watch the pressure gauge when the pump is running - if the pressure goes down [pump not getting water] somewhere around 20 psi the switch wil open and cut out the power thus saving your pump. Dont bypass this until you find out what is the cause of the pressure loss....

MikeRett

Reaction score
I would also like to mention that the water goes off sometime during the night. Hence, no water in the morning. The only thing that would be using water at that time wold be the icemaker and a few toilet flushes. Could a check valve be leaking down? Or is it a lack of water in the well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since the pump shuts off when there is very little water being used, it is probably not a dry well condition. Most likely the pressure switch points have something between them like ants or lint. Either that or the tube that connects the pressure switch is clogged up. If the switch delays starting the pump until the pressure is at 28 or lower, the bladder hits the bottom and the low pressure feature of the pressure switch will shut the pump down. Got to make sure the pump gets started before the pressure drops below 30, and that usually means a sticking pressure switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks