(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapcon Problems

Well, it seems to be holding just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states) Old Dog's Avatar

Default A suggestion for next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    Well, it seems to be holding just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Nice picture Eric...However,the wood 4x4 is right down on the concrete.
    Overtime the bottom of that post will be damaged by water either by rain,sprinklers,washing down the concrete and then it's gonna need to be replaced before its time.Check into the standoff bracket(Simpson sells one) I mentioned earlier.Keeps the post bottom dry.I always include painting when I redo railing like this.That way I preprime all the lumber first,and I make sure all end cuts are painted before I put them together.I NEVER have problems getting more money for these jobs when I explain to the owner his project will last longer.
    Doing better work never costs you,it pays...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog
    I always include painting when I redo railing like this.That way I preprime all the lumber first,and I make sure all end cuts are painted before I put them together.I NEVER have problems getting more money for these jobs when I explain to the owner his project will last longer.
    Doing better work never costs you,it pays...
    Tell that to the owner. He wanted us to use old, rotted 2x4's that had been sitting out for 5 years. We refused. He wants to paint it himself to save money as well. He'll probably call me in a month to ask me to prime and paint it, cuz he's too busy.

BTW, the only reason he had us build the railing is to fence in his dogs. So, you can add dog pee to your list of things that will eventually rot out that post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 08-15-2007 at 10:14 AM.

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states) Old Dog's Avatar

Red face Cheap homeowners...

Hey,It wasn't meant to be a slam against you...I guess I've gotten grumpy in my old age!I don't suffer foolish/cheap homeowners well...

I don't have a choice. At least he pays well and on time. Which is more than I can say for most around here.

While I have never cared for Tapcons personally, I think the comments you got are accurate. I have very good luck with the lead inserts. I use a rotary hammer drill to drill the holes in the concrete, tap the inserts flush, then use sheet metal screws into the inserts. They make several lengths of inserts, so depending on what you are anchoring, you can use whatever length is necessary. I always drill the holes a tad deeper than required just to allow a bit of leeway. If the screws will be exposed to moisture, I use stainless steel screws. I do not mean to imply that Tapcons will not work. I know they are excellent, but seem to me to be too difficult to work with. I furred a basement years ago by shooting the nails, but that was the first and last time for that method for me.