(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Adding a tub and sink in basement

DIY Junior Member

Default Adding a tub and sink in basement

Okay, so I'm trying to remodel a basement. And I have a bathroom already, but it only has a toilet in it. I look to replace the toilet anyway, but how can I install a tub and sink where it was not originally designed for there to be a tub or sink down there?

THE PLAN:
    .....is to knock the wooden walls (in this bathroom) down and then mark out where new walls will go. But we desire to put a sink and tub in there first and build arround that. How will the plumbing for something like that work and what kinda costs am I looking at?

If I'm not clear let me know. Someone please help!!!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The fact that you have a toilet there indicates that you have a drain, which is a start (means you don't need to build a pump station to get the waste outside).

You'll need to layout the room, then crack some concrete to tie the new drains together. You'll also need to locate the vent line for the toilet (hopefully it has one!), and then also plan to tie new vents from the shower and the sink into that.

You can make an educated guess where the drain line goes if you can find the other drains in the house or you know where the sewer exits the house...your toilet would probably run in a fairly straight line to those others. If you remove the toilet, you can usually see which direction the sewer line turns, which is a start.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

We have our main bathroom that is RIGHT ABOVE the bathroom downstairs. Does that help at all?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Not necessarily. The toilet in the basement may not be vented properly as it is. If you are going to add a bunch of fixtures, you'll need to do it right to ensure it all work. You'll need a vent line that goes up from the basement that can connect to the one going through the roof, or create a new one. The tub or shower trap needs to be below the concrete and you'll want the drain for the new sink to go there as well, so you'll need to break some concrete to make those connections.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

Are you sure we have to break up concrete? Someone mentioned to me that all we had to do is raise the tub. So, essentially, the tub would be higher off the ground than an average tub/shower, but it would keep us from having to break concrete. I hear breaking up the concrete costs alot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Morr
    Are you sure we have to break up concrete? Someone mentioned to me that all we had to do is raise the tub. So, essentially, the tub would be higher off the ground than an average tub/shower, but it would keep us from having to break concrete. I hear breaking up the concrete costs alot of money.
    There's no way around it.
    No other way you could connect the drain under the slab.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."