copper pipe straps, solder?

Users who are viewing this thread

northman

Reaction score
I noticed in a couple places the plumber that did work on my house soldered the copper pipe straps to the pipe, is this normally done? I had always just thought they screwed down and held the pipe with friction, never thought about soldering them.

Greg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
probably some old german plumber

It is just the way the guy liked to work..

it is certainly makes for a very solid job
and perhaps it keeps the line from ever
making knocking --creaking noises

I see it all the time
although I have wondered if it wont let
a long run expand and contract properly

best to let sleeping dogs lie

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have sen this done before and have done it myself.
But on a long run I wouldnt .As Mark said.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Soldering strap clips to copper pipe for reducing expansion noises is redundant.
The straps move, as long as the screws on the clips are tight there's no creaking, not from the hanger at least.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
There is a plumber in my area that has been using galvanized ductwork supports and soldering to copper.

Everyone knows what's going to happen years down the road, it will eat a hole in that copper pipe.

I understand the ease of those over cutting a piece a wood and banging 2 or 4 nails in but that is just improper workmanship.

This same plumber is the same plumber that heats a staple to put a weep hole in a sump pump discharge to prevent air lock,

same guy who hangs a ST-12 tank perpendicular from the water line and watch nearly 40 pounds of water make it bend down when it blows,

Same guy that doesn't know how to wipe a solder joint down after completion to clean up the flux.

He does it like he knows he ain't coming back. Gives me a job but should I care? Yes

You're a professional, act like one.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
My plumbing is all suspended by copper-coated long U staples. Most of them were at one time soldered to the copper piping and most of them have since broken loose.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Construct30

Reaction score
If I strap a copper pipe to the joist, I like to use the plastic straps. I think the pipe has to be able to expand and contract. The plastic straps do it quieter. If only some of the straps were soldered then he was working by himself and just wanted to keep the pipe from moving while he worked.

They do make copper coated hangers that look just like the duct hangers, I would never allow someone to solder metal to copper. Of course some of the cheap copper coated straps rust and we use them, probably just as bad. They just look better until we leave. That's why I switched to plastic straps. They also work on the PEX I use.

mark

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been using the pipe insulation and then using a bigger strap to hold them down. I only do this on long open runs. They can move all they want and will not bind as easy or make noise when they do it. The rest of the time I just use a standard copper strap.

Part of the reason I started doing this is because of the hot water recalculation systems that everyone wants on there main water lines. I don’t use the pump method.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks