Sewer line question

Users who are viewing this thread

spebby

Reaction score
I removed the badly cracked concrete slab of my carport with the intention of building an attached garage. My water well, pressure tank and water softner was in the carport. I replace the copper line from the well to the house and uncovered a 2" cast iron sewer pipe in the process. I decided to add a drain for the water softner by tying into this cast iron pipe. In the process of digging around the cast iron pipe to find a suitable place to make the tie-in I ran into a connection where the 2" cast iron pipe along with a 3/4" copper line were connected to 4" orangeburg" pipe. The connection was encased in concrete. I decided to remove this section and cut through the orangeburg, gently busted up the concrete and used a fernco to attach the cast iron pipe to 2" pvc then using a 2" to 4" bushing increased the size to 4" pvc. However the orangeburg was not round and I could not get a fernco to seal that connection. The orangeburg headed under the concrete slab of the back porch. I probed and found where the orangeburg exited the slab on the other side, and found another concrete encased joint where the 4" orangeburg was connected to a 3" cast iron el. I piped around the slab with 4" pvc making sure I had proper slope, and added a clean out. The 3" cast iron el was connected (again encased in concrete) at the other end to some type of 4" plastic pipe that I have never seen. My question: This 4" plastic pipe is a dark gray in color and has thin walls. I used a fernco to connect the sch 40 4" pvc to this pipe. It appears to be in good shape. I was tired of digging in 100 degree heat and the plastic pipe headed under a deck. Any guesses to the type pipe? Should I remove the deck and replace this line with sch 40 PVC. This sewer line drains the washing machine, kitchen sink, dishwasher and water softner and heads to my septic tank about 100 ft away. (The drains for the bathrooms are at the other end of the house)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

My head hurts from trying to follow the changes in size and materials, but it appears you have a real cobbled up mess/system. Change it to one material and the proper sizes.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
spebby said:
My question: This 4" plastic pipe is a dark gray in color and has thin walls ...
I was tired of digging in 100 degree heat and the plastic pipe headed under a deck. Any guesses to the type pipe? Should I remove the deck and replace this line with sch 40 PVC. This sewer line drains the washing machine, kitchen sink, dishwasher and water softner and heads to my septic tank about 100 ft away. (The drains for the bathrooms are at the other end of the house)

Having bypassed the Orangeburg, and if that other whatever-kind-of-pipe is doing its part, I would likely grab a cold drink and sit on the deck to cool off a bit while leaving things just as they are.

spebby

Reaction score
Yea, I got an ice chest of beer and sat on the deck looking at the mess I made. The holes I dug will need to be filled back in after inspection. If it passes inspection, I plan on leaving it for now. For an old man (62) digging in 100 degree heat is hard work.

I am stuck with the cast iron pipe coming from under the house slab. As for the mess from the cast iron pipe to the plastic pipe, it's now 4" sch 40 PVC. The portion under the new garage slab is now either cast iron or 4" PVC. I was curious as to what the thin walled dark gray plastic pipe was so I could research it's expected life. At least it was round and the fernco made a good seal. If it lasts another 20 years, it will most likely out last me. If it ever needs replacing, at least it's not under a slab.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Might be some old style of SDR35 sewer pipe...
It is the same inside diameter as SCH40 PVC but much thinner wall...
If this is the case, backfilled properly it will outlast all of us....

spebby

Reaction score
Nothing is ever easy!!!

Update: Nothing is ever easy!!! The inspector just called and said he could not find my address. I tried giving him directions but he said I needed to go to the city's Planning department and get a proper address and to tell the Planning department to notify the inspection dept. of the proper address. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but after living at this address for the last 25 years I have learned both the street name and the number. I'm off to the Planning dept. to fight a war I've fought before. I will post another update when I post bail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks