Sand in Shallow Well

Users who are viewing this thread

paullad

Reaction score
I just drove a shallow well and am getting a lot of sand in the water. It's only 13' deep. I've read that you should use a hand pump and keep pumping until the water clears up but I've pumped out at least 50 gals. but it's still sandy. Just wondering what my options are. Someone mentioned adding a sand separator after the pressure tank. I understand that the sand is really bad for the pump and don't want to be replacing pumps all the time.

Any insights are appreciated.

Paul

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I do not know very much about wells, but I would try hooking up a gas-powered "trash pump" and letting it run for a few hours to see whether you can pull out enough sand to create a clear cavity around the screen at the bottom of your well.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
It will either clear up by you pumping the fine sand out of the area closest to your point, or you may have to start over by moving and using a finer screened point. Be glad you weren't paying 15 dollars a foot to find out that the sand a hundred feet under your ground does this. You won't burn or kill a pump in a matter of hours by pumping fine sand. Just Dump the water, don't pump it into your plumbing where it will cause a ton of headaches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks