(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: dual flush with 14" rough-in?

Default dual flush with 14" rough-in?

we just had a Toto Aquia dual flush installed and it's so great we want to put one in the other bathroom. the problem is that bathroom (the original in this 1936 house) has a 14" rough-in.

so, is there a dual flush with a 14" rough-in or should we use the Aquia with the 12" and put in a "backing" (which is what the plumber said is an option)?
    btw, what exactly is a "backing" -- is it any piece of wood to bridge the gap or is it something specfic for toilets?

thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is no reason to block behind any toilet.
    If you have a 14", that just means there is 2" more inches behind the toilet. No harm there.

does that mean there is not a dual flush with a 14" rough-in
    or that you would recommend the Aquia with the 12" rough-in and just leave an extra 2" behind it?

thx

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Most Toto Uni-fit's are available in 14" but Aquia is not.
    The backing would be a extention of the wall and it would look nicer than a 2" gap behind the toilet.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I dunno, a gap means you might be able to paint back there without pulling the toilet...all a matter of choice.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I'm with jadnashua! Since having the closet bend replacet from lead to pvc, I some how went from a 12" to a 14" rough in. I am just going to put in an Ultramax and forget the gap.