Overflow knob removal

Users who are viewing this thread

cvnhank

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I have two questions. My tub is an American Standard. It is clogged. I was thinking of shooting water from my garden hose to clear it. Is that a good idea? Second, I actually tried the above but the water just gushed out of the overflow. If I continue this route, how do I remove the overflow knob? It is the turn type. I called American Standard and they said there is a set screw. There is no set screw on my overflow knob. Maybe it isn't an American Standard knob. Your help is greatly appreciated. Hank

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If it is a rotary waste & overflow (you turn it and the waste plug pops-up).
Most are a set screw at the bottom it should have a notch underneath.
It is most likely not America Standard as their waste & overflows are expensive.
Even if you get the plate off it will be hard to block the water you will most likely need to hold you hand over it.

cvnhank

Reaction score
Peanut9199,
What you said makes much sense. How do I remove the knob? Mine does not have at set screw. If I could get the knob off, I'll try and clear the clog by using a hose. Thanks for your reply, Hank

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how far the knob sticks out, the set screw may be somewhat burried back behind the pretty part of the knob rather than being in it. It could be hard to see since it is likely on the bottom behind the flare of the majority of the knob. More common is to have the knob nearly flush and the set screw in the bottom of the finished part.

cvnhank

Reaction score
Jim,
I checked for a set screw and I couldn't find one behind the knob. Is it possible there is another way this knob is attached? (Please anyone is welcome to chime in). Thanks Hank

cvnhank

Reaction score
Peanut 9199,
Thank you very much, this looks like my overflow knob. Hank

cvnhank

Reaction score
Peanut 9199,
I was able to easily remove the knob. Thank you again. Hank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks