Another Water Hammer Question

Users who are viewing this thread

here4more

Reaction score
I experience water hammer whenever I flush the toilets furthest from the main and sometimes whenever I shut off the shower furthest from the main. This is a new house, 1 year old.

Some background: Watering lawn was difficult. Sprinklers attached to outside faucet barely rotated. Next door neighbor (home built at same time, same builder & plumber) has a sprinkler system and suggested adjusting the regulator (PVR???) to increase psi. Water pressure gauge shows neighbor’s psi is 80. I set mine to 80 as well. But my neighbor does not experience water hammer and I do.

We did not have water hammer prior to adjusting PSI but did experience poor performance. We are very comfortable with and enjoy the current pressure. The lawn gets completely watered and the shower feels great. Only problem is the water hammer. What to do?!?!?

Last edited:

here4more

Reaction score
Thanks David for replying. This IS a GREAT forum! It was from this forum that I was able to understand technically what the noise is. I have searched the forum and have found several very good posts. However, I do not know where my hammer arrestors are in the house or how many I have, if any.

My questions: My house is on a 4 foot crawl space with all the plumbing under the house. Is this where my hammer arresters should be? Nothing in the house looks like the arrester pictures that I've seen.

Should I just decrease the PSI to eliminate the water hammer and suffer with the lower water pressure? Really it wasn’t so bad – perhaps I can find a happy medium? Or, should I install hammer arrestors on the toilets and shower? But, by doing the later, is it possible that I may still cause damage to my plumbing although I may not hear the water hammer?

Thanks Again.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm going to have to guess the plumber never installed an expansion tank with the PRV.
I had this EXACT same problem with a customer last month...simple expansion tank fixed it perfectly.

here4more

Reaction score
If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a total plumbing n00b. I do know that i have what looks like a gallon container turn outside down sitting on top of my gas hot water heater. I believe it says potable expansion tank. Is this what your talking about? How do I pressurize it to match the 80psi?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
here4more said:
If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a total plumbing n00b. I do know that i have what looks like a gallon container turn outside down sitting on top of my gas hot water heater. I believe it says potable expansion tank. Is this what your talking about? How do I pressurize it to match the 80psi?

Thats it...get a tire guage...take off the small plastic cap on the bottom and check the pressure.
IF it's less than 80...get a bike pump and eat yer wheaties.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Thats it...get a tire guage...take off the small plastic cap on the bottom and check the pressure.
You should try borrowing or stealing an aircompressor first, Grumpy may be trying to kill you!

here4more

Reaction score
LOL))))))

Mr. Pike... I already figured out that I would use my aircompressor!

Thank you all for your assistance!!! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I believe that before you pump it up, you have to release the pressure in the system...
Turn off the water and open a faucet...
Once that is done, close the faucet again and pump till you reach 75-80 psi...
Then turn the water back on....

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
markts30 said:
I believe that before you pump it up, you have to release the pressure in the system...
Turn off the water and open a faucet...
Once that is done, close the faucet again and pump till you reach 75-80 psi...
Then turn the water back on....

lol...er...yea, that too...it'll read 80 psi if ya don't...oops.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

80 with a bike pump?I'd get a couple of cans of spinach to go with them wheaties...lol

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Old Dog said:
80 with a bike pump?I'd get a couple of cans of spinach to go with them wheaties...lol

Don't laugh...it's right in the instructions on the Amtrol/Diatrol tanks manual...bike tires inflate to an excess of 100 psi in some cases.
Though I prefer to say I'm just a big tough guy....yeah...thats it.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I pressurized an old galzanized well-water tank with a bicycle pump once. It isn't the sort of thing you want to do twice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, but, that's sort of like trying to inflate a massive truck tire verses a bike tire...an expansion tank has a quite small air volume.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Yes, but, that's sort of like trying to inflate a massive truck tire verses a bike tire...an expansion tank has a quite small air volume.

Exactly....welltrol's are 40+ gallons...expansion tank might be 2

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Don't laugh...it's right in the instructions on the Amtrol/Diatrol tanks manual...bike tires inflate to an excess of 100 psi in some cases.
Though I prefer to say I'm just a big tough guy....yeah...thats it.

Grumpy,
For some reason I was thinking of the small pump that snaps on the bike frame...and a very large pressure tank!
(BIG,TOUGH,AND GRUMPY... REMIND ME NOT TO P**S YOU OFF)

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Old Dog said:
Grumpy,
For some reason I was thinking of the small pump that snaps on the bike frame...and a very large pressure tank!
(BIG,TOUGH,AND GRUMPY... REMIND ME NOT TO P**S YOU OFF)

Naah...in fact the "Grumpy" name was intended as a humorous antonym...ssshhh, don't tell anyone, I got a reputation to keep.
You should meet my sweety though...5 feet, 2 inches of raw fury.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks