Did I hit clay? Now what???

Users who are viewing this thread

chadfetter

Reaction score
Post ReplyShallow Well Problem (SandPoint)
Posted by chadfetter on August 8th, 2007 10:38 AM | Watch this Topic

I am trying to drive in my own Shallow Well using a sand point. I currently have 17' of 1 1/4" pipe down plus the 3' point. Periodically, I have been running water down the pipe to try to make my life a little easier. The water has always run through, I have not been able to fill up the pipe. The past foot of poundind has gone really hard, and when I put water in the pipe now, it quickly fills up the pipe and remains in the pipe...it doesn't drain out.

I suspect that I hit a layer of clay. Does this sound right? Any easier way to drive down through the clay? I am using a 2" post driver. Any thoughts on how deep this layer of clay could be? I am approaching that magical 25' max depth and want to know if I should abandon all hope of finding water.

Thanks in advance.

jgmaciejko

Reaction score
wash a 3" abs casing down first

I have washed a couple sand point wells down by first washing down a 3" abs casing as far as possible then putting the 1 1/4" pipe inside. You wash the abs down by pressurizing the abs with a high volume pump . It will go down easily until you hit water . Just secure the adapter fitting to hook up the fire hose on to the abs by drilling holes thru adapter and abs then insert a 6" nail. Once the first length of pipe is washed down remove adapter, glue another length of abs on , wait a couple minutes for glue to set, the re attach hose adapter by drilling new holes thru new abs and fire up the pump to continue washing. Once the abs "freezes" you can then pound it down further by washing inside the abs with a 1" flexible poly pipe creating a cavitiy just below the abs. When you pound the abs down it fills up up sand etc thus you must wash it clean before putting 1 1/4" pipe down. You will know when to stop washing when so see small pebbles coming to surface of abs when you are washing with the 1" poly inside the 3" abs. Then pound the 1 1/4" sandpoint just below the bottom of abs. Note I always screw 2 3' sand point together to increase open area.

Good luck....the clay you talk could be hard pan (fine , tightly packed sand)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks