Wiring Flood Lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
I have a house-relatively large ~5000sq ft and want to control the outside floodlights from the front door- and both master bedrooms (one down and one up). I'm looking at the standard double 100w type floodlights. Electrical panel is on the first floor- and lights will be on the sofits.

Is there a better way to wire- other than bring the power in at the second floor switch and save ~6ft of 12/3. It seems like a LOT of wire. Is it too long-is 10/3 and 10/2 required for such a run? Too much voltage drop. Or no big deal since it's just lights? Just the lights will be running on this circuit.

Thanks in advance-

outsidelighting.jpg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think you save the 6' of 12-3 anyway; you only need 12-2 between the switch and the light. It looks like you might save a little 12-2 by running the light at the top of the picture from the first light, rather than putting it at the end of the chain. That would result in a smaller voltage drop as well at that 3rd light, but I doubt you'd notice (the difference is about .3 volt). As drawn, the voltage drop at the far light (assuming all lights are working and the far switch is controlling) is under 1 volt, well within the 3% guideline. Copper's cheap these days; I'd go with whatever's easiest to install.

Last edited:

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey- I'll walk off the distance to see which is shortest. And yes- the wire is a lot cheaper since last year- about $75 less for a 500ft spool!!

Richard

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Richard'sRenu said:
...the wire is a lot cheaper since last year...
Darn good thing, too. It's amazing how fast a 500' spool disappears. Good luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple other possibilities: motion controlled lights. they go on only when they detect something, but you can force them on (typically by flicking the switch). Or, look into Insteon or X-10 for remote control. One good source of all sorts of interesting stuff is www.smarthome.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks