Kitchen Sink Waste Outlet Height?

Users who are viewing this thread

norwood

Reaction score
In order to install a deeper kitchen sink with a disposer, I need to lower the waste outlet so that the disposer does not become the trap.

Since this is 60 year old plumbing, I plan to use 2" PVC, run a new drain through the floor, into the basement, and tie into a cleanout in the original pipe. I will use the existing waste outlet as a vent (since it is vented and will be higher).

My question: How many inches above the floor should I make the center of the waste outlet pipe? Is there any standard?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What really matters, obviously, is how far the disposer outlet will be above the floor or below the sink. Once you know that, you can set the drain at that level.

Mine is 14 1/2" above the floor, and nicely accomodates a huge Insinkerator disposer and a deep sink (outlet is 11" below the countertop), with about a 5" fall from the disposer outlet to the trap.

I don't know if this is legal, but if you're running a pipe straight down to the basement, put the trap down there as well, and cut the pipe to a suitable height and put in the fittings after the fixtures are installed.

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Mikey said:
I don't know if this is legal, but if you're running a pipe straight down to the basement, put the trap down there as well, and cut the pipe to a suitable height and put in the fittings after the fixtures are installed.

Here, tailpieces (vertical pipe connecting the sink drain to the trap) cannot be more than 24" long...
Best best would be to open up the wall and lower the waste in the wall - not use a cleanout in the basement....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely agree with Markts30. Cutting out a section of drywall and patching it is a pretty simplistic job, especially since the patched area will be under the sink and never exposed to public view so even a less than professional job of patching will never be seen. The time to do this job right is now, don't let yourself try shortcuts that you will later regret.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Mark & Gary...both 100% right.
running the drain straight down to the basement sets up for an S-trap...they also tend to go over the 24" standpipe rule.
What you do now stays with you for years to come...that could mean sewage smells in your kitchen.

norwood

Reaction score
The current waste outlet is 22" above the floor. I guess this was what they used in 1949.

The problem is that the current outlet is galvanized iron, and does not go down inside the wall, but makes a left turn for about 3 feet (running horizontally), till tying into (all 2" galvanized) a vertical pipe which runs from a vent upstairs and down to the basement. (I think they did it this way because the sink is above a basement window, but that has been now covered).

What I want to do is use the current J trap, but have a PVC pipe with a sani-T, and have run down (near the wall) to the basement.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

A trap under the floor does not automatically make it an "S" trap. You can use the opening in the wall for the vent, but not the way it is connected at this time. It will have to be modified first, but only someone there can tell what has to be done to make it a legal vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks