Pump won't stop running

Users who are viewing this thread

emuis

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a Mastercraft 3/4 HP shallow well jet pump. Two days ago my wife heard a loud bang and went downstairs to see the intake pipe had come off the pump and the water was comming out of the pump (only a little bit as the pump was still on).

I came home, put a new attachment for the pipe to the pump on and re-primed the pump. I also noticed that the pressure switch line had come off the pump as well (the line was still attached to the switch). I re-attached that as well.

After re-primeing the pump I noticed that the pump did not turn off, nor did it get above 30PSI.

I drained the system again, and checked the pressure tank. The tank had basicly no air pressure in it. I pumped it up to ~40 PSI and checked it after about ~1 hour and it still had the same pressure in it. I turned the pump on, and now the water pressure is upto ~40PSI, however it still does not get any higher than that, nor does it turn off.

I left the system off last night and went down this morning to turn the pump on again and I noticed that it had lost prime. I removed the 1 1/4" intake pipe from the pump and checked the pipe, it had no water. I filled the pipe with water and then watched as it too about 45 seconds or so before the water I put in was lost from sight (I could only see in about 1.5").

Does this mean that the foot valve is broken? I don't know how deep the well is unfortunatly. I need to find out if the foot valve is broken, as the well cap is buried, and it will be a hell of a job to find it and dig it up.

Thanks in advance!!

emuis

Reaction score
Answer

looks like the impeller was blocked. Debris from the intake was blocking part of the impeller and thus prevented the pump from getting past ~30PSI.

The pipe burst off the pump because the pump kept running but did not move any water. The pump heated and boiled the water causing the pipes to burst off.

Removing the bolt below the intake and shoving a small screw driver or coat hanger fixed the problem for now. The larger problem now is that there is debris in my intake line which means either the elbow joint has corroded or the foot valve's skirt is torn and debris is making its way up the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks