off on thermal overload

Users who are viewing this thread

Rando Tyler

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a shallow well 1 hp jet pump. He had the motor bearings replaced then he changed out the pressure switch. Now the problem is when it is energized it will run for about 15 seconds and then the overload switch( I think) opens.. after it sits for a couple of minutes I can hear the switch close and then when I energize it it will run once again for the 15 seconds. I metered the amp draw on both lines( it is 240 volt application) and I get a reading of 33 amps per line until it shuts down. Here is my question. Could the centri. switch not be opening and is it possible it is letting the cap surge continue until it overloads? Any thoughts from anyone will be helpful. If I have left any needed info. out please advise me . Oh by the way I have the pressure switch by passed so it is not the pressure switch.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Rando Tyler said:
... motor bearings replaced ...
... it will run for about 15 seconds ...
Could the centri. switch not be opening and is it possible it is letting the cap surge continue until it overloads?

If you are talking about the possibility it is running on the start windings and never clicking into "run", yes, that could be the problem. Maybe something got messed up or left on the bench or floor when the bearings were replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks