How to vent main floor lavatory

Users who are viewing this thread

t-roy

Reaction score
Can someone look at the attached diagram and tell me if the lavatory is vented properly?

The lavatory that I've drained into the cast iron stack vent resides less than 3 feet from the vent stack.

Attachments

• mf lavatory.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 337

t-roy

Reaction score
wet-vented?

Wouln't this be considered a wet-vent? The lavatory drain connects to the vent stack at a point higher than the toilet does, (not shown in picture, but the main floor toilet is 2 feet left of the cast iron stack), and the toilet drain enters the stack approximately 10 inches below the point where the main floor lavatory connects to the stack. how does this configuration present a siphonage problem, and thus, an improper vent situation.

As I see it, with no other fixture draining into the vent stack at a point higher than the lavatory, there is no siphonage issue. And, as I understand it, the siphonage issue is the reason for proper venting.

This is new ground for me, so please excuse my ignorance. However, I understand logic, so knowing why it isn't properly vented helps me understand the reason for the venting codes.

any thoughts?

Attachments

• lav drain dgrm.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

I rechecked your drawing to see if you had modified it. You show an "S" trap for the sink. That is not permitted, and an "S" trap does not have a vent so it could not be a "wet" vent for any other fixture. An "S" trap will always siphon when water runs through it.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Run the lavy waste line (1-1/2" minimum) up into the wall behind the lavy. Then extend the vent off the top of a stubout tee. The vent can either be extended thru the roof or tied into another vent somewhere between the 1st floor ceiling and the roof. Sorry, no shortcuts. Some might use an AAV. I wouldn't because they're not allowed in my area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks