Metal Bonding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Electric Hot Water Tank with Copper Nipple coming out of the tank.

THE COPPER NIPPLE WON'T MOVE!!!

2 guys holding the tank, 2 guys on a big wrench, it won't move!

I heated it, it won't move!

I banged on it and drilled it, it won't move!

I ruined the tank, it still won't move! (old tank, no big loss)

Why did this copper become part of the tank like this?

TIA,
Molo

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try PB Blaster on it. Spray it, let it sit for 30 minutes, then try it. I suspect it was just put on mega tight without pipe dope and some corrosion on the threads. This would be a good test for the PB Blaster.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
Try PB Blaster on it. Spray it, let it sit for 30 minutes, then try it. I suspect it was just put on mega tight without pipe dope and some corrosion on the threads. This would be a good test for the PB Blaster.

I'd bet even that wouldn't do it, not if 4 guys were tweaking it with a wrench....I bet the copper has corroded into a bond with the steele from years of galvanic action.
Molo...keep us apprized.

Molo

Reaction score
picture

here's a photo, it was bonded! I literally beat the copper with a hammer and also used a drill bit and a flathead screwdriver that i beat on with the hammer> the copper wouldnt seperate!!

Attachments

• 1bonding00_0887.jpg
    1bonding00_0887.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 320

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Duct tape if you have only 1 pound of water pressure

Next time use your blue tip wrench (torch)

It will come out for sure, especially if you pull the flame away and pour water on the copper fitting so it will shrink while the tank port is cherry red......or white depending on how pissed off you are at getting it out.

I hate leaving MIP's in the tanks too......I like getting all the scrap I can before the junk man gets my tanks.

:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks