Testing new Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
I'm in the process of a second story addition. I had a friend of a friend- Licensed Plumber stop by and give me tips on what I needed to do - as far as layout-permit-codes and basic pointers.

Anyway- I'm going to have him back over this weekend to check out before the inspection. I like inspections to go smoothly. (Although HVAC inspection was a joke- inspector didn't even climb up the ladder to check the unit!!!)

The guys that ran all the new gas lines for me- gave me a meter for the Gas line inspection. Hold 20psi for 20 minutes.

I thought-what a great idea-use a reducer on the meter - a female on the ¾ copper and I'd be able to check if it holds air- which is a LOT easier to clean up than water.

If it holds air- it should hold water... What pressure should I take it to-and how long should I check it for?

Thanks-

Richard

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I'd call the inspector and ask what he wants, it may be differant than my area.

My area (for waterlines) would be a water pressure test of the working pressure or, an air test of 50PSI for at least 15 min. I would not air test any plastic piping.

For drain lines, It would be a 10ft. head of water or with air, 5PSI for 15 min. air test is not recommended with any plastic pipe.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Here we test copper waterlines at 100psi for 15 minutes and drainage (PVC or CI in most cases here) at 5psi also for 15 minutes.

CHH

Reaction score
Just a question: do you folks typically include the water heater tank when pressure testing with air?

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
Thanks guys- I went ahead and ran it up to 100+ PSI and checked after about twenty minutes- the had meter moved slightly down-about a couple psi (when I did both hot and cold) so I'm think I'm ok.

I have to say I owe a lot to this forum and the discussion on solder.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14183

Using the Oatey 95-that really helps for some good flowing solder.

Richard

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Goes to show how one state varies from the next regarding code...we're required to pressurize water at 125psi.
I think drainage is universally the same...5psi for 15 minutes or ten feet of head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks