Wall mount sink

Users who are viewing this thread

foghat35

Reaction score
I'm putting in a wall mount sink and was going to cut the wall out to install blocking. I thought it was 1/4" wainscoting on top of 1/2" drywall but it turns out to be 1/2" plywood instead. The sink weighs 28lbs. Could 1/4" toggles work with this?? thanks

toggle-bolts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'd think so, but...make absolutely sure the plywoods tacked into the studs good....try tacking a make shift "A" frame to the plywood and put some weight on it...even sit if you can.
Just know that kids will be hanging on it.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good news that it's plywood. 1/4" diameter steel toggle bolts is a great way to go. I wouldn't need 5/16" to feel secure, and I have been known to do calisthenics and gymnastics at home and elsewhere on anything that a few fingers can grip onto. What is the height distance between where the bolts are and the bottom edge of the back part of the sink touching the wall? This distance is the most important one in determining how much pressure will push into the wall when someone lifts themselves off the floor by pushing down on the sink. The risk is not that a toggle will snap or pull out, but that the sink will squish its way into your wall gradually at the bottom back edge.

david

Barbara10

Reaction score
We just bought a new corner wall mount sink for our bathroom, and when we got it out of the box, we had a couple of surprises. First, there was no hanging hardware included, and second, the sink just has a couple of D rings on the back for hanging. They're not adjustable, so we don't have a lot of choice as to where to put the nails/screws/whatnot.

The sink is about 30 pounds, and I'm fairly sure that we won't be lucky enough for the hooks on the sink to magically line up with the studs in the wall, so I'm going to have to hang it from screws in the drywall. The good news is that there's a sheet of drywall installed over another inch-thick layer of sheet rock, so there's a lot of material there.

So, first, can this be done safely? And if so, what is the proper hardware? I have a vague memory of the existence of widgets specifically designed for this purpose. Yes? No?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
www.wingits.com have some anchors that might work for you, but the best thing would be to probably cut some drywall out, install blocking, and anchor into that.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We just bought a new corner wall mount sink for our bathroom, and when we got it out of the box, we had a couple of surprises. First, there was no hanging hardware included, and second, the sink just has a couple of D rings on the back for hanging. They're not adjustable, so we don't have a lot of choice as to where to put the nails/screws/whatnot.
So, first, can this be done safely? And if so, what is the proper hardware? I have a vague memory of the existence of widgets specifically designed for this purpose. Yes? No?

A hung sink can be subjected to a lot of pressure from people leaning on it, hanging on it , and banging into it. I would not hang one from anything but solid framing.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Some of the Wingits fasteners are ADA rated for safety bars at in excess of 300# each, but those are designed for use on a tiled wall. SOme of their other ones are rated at 100# in drywall. I think that their design spreads the load better than a typical toggle bolt, but still, a lag bolt or hanger bolt into a stud or solid blocking is probably better and cheaper.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
WingIts has a toll-free tech support line. This is one anchor, rated to hold 300#
Wingits master anchor.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks