Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Posted by M Parr

A couple of months back, I posted my concern with having a electrical tingling sensation in my in-ground swimming pool, and I was looking for help to resolve my problem. Many of the members responded with their ideas and potential solutions, which my wife and I really appreciated. I unfortunately did not keep everyone's name that responded, or I would thank each of them individually.

Well, we did finally resolve the problem last week, and I thought that it would only be fair to give back to the members, and tell them how we fixed our problem.

We ended up putting a 10ft lightning rod (grounding rod) into our back garden which is approximately five feet from our pool. The electrician that we hired stood on a ladder and used a special driver to sink the rod into the ground so that it was not exposed. We then cut a 3/4" saw cut from the garden, through our stamped concrete to one of the metal support beams that attaches to our pool frame. The electrician used #6 bare wire from the grounding rod to the pool frame and basically grounded the frame of our pool. The pool company then placed a fake square pool skimmer cover over the square that they had cut out of the concrete in order to make the grounding connection at the pool frame. After the wiring was done, they placed silicone around the square skimmer cover and along the 3/4" saw cut.

Everything looks great, and we are relieved to finally have a resolution to this problem that has been haunting us for a year and a half. Now we can safely entertain our family and friends again.

We had an electrical engineer take electrical voltage readings before the grounding of the pool and afterwards, and sure enough the voltage and our tingling problem was finally eliminated. All that he could attribute the tingling to was stray voltage running from somewhere underground to our metal pool frame. We will never find out where the source of it came from, but now it doesn't matter.

Again, I wanted to thank all of your readers for their input, and I hope that my solution helps someone else to eliminate their electrical tingling sensation in their swimming pool.

Take care, and all the best.
M. Parr
London, Ontario

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Sorry, but this story is fatally flawed. A ground rod will NOT "ground" ANYTHING.
All that happened here is (part of) the pool system got bonded.

If the walls and supports of the pool are metal, and they are buried in the same dirt as the ground rod.......what purpose is the ground rod serving??????
The pool is it's own ground rod!! Sinking a ground rod is utter nonsense.

NO ground rods are EVER required to bond a pool! Electricians who are not familiar with pools use them all the time because they do not care to read Art. 680 and familiarize themselves with the proper way to bond a pool.

Sorry fort he rant but this is a contentious topic with me.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I agree with Pete

By cutting the grove in the concrete and installing the conductor from the frame of the pool through the concrete did more than any driven rod could ever do. The conductor embedded in the concrete brought everything around the pool to the same potential.

What is misunderstood about the equipotential bonding grid is, its job is not to remove voltage or to ground anything. Its sole purpose is to bring everything to the same potential.

If the pool water was energized with a 25,000 volt line dropped into the pool water and the bonding grid was installed properly there would be on shock potential between the water and anything involved with the pool water.

If the bonding grid is no installed properly then there is a shock hazard from stray voltages emitted by radio waves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks