Powder room plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Zach

Reaction score
I am currently renovating a first floor powder room. The room was an addition built in the 50's onto my 1920's house.

I plan on replacing the lead drains with pvc (highlighted in green below), and replacing the blue highlighted cast iron with pvc as well, as there is zero slope in that section of the pipe. (All of the lead is tight - I'm guessing there was just no slope when it was originally installed.) The black line drawn in illustrates how the vent goes up the wall, then across the ceiling joists, and finally through the roof.

A couple of questions..

1). The closet is wet vented.. I believe this is okay though?

2). I've used a no-hub connector on a brass ferrule before. If I remove the cast iron that I've highlighted, can I use a Fernco donut? Or do I have to rent a snap cutter, cut the pipe, and use a no-hub connector? I seem to remember some problem with odd sized cast iron hubs... ???? Or, should I just leave the cast iron alone and just replace the lead? The cast iron doesn't slope towards the flange. It just doesn't slope away from it either. I figured it was a clog waiting to happen. ??

snap_cutter.jpg

3). Any other problems with this configuration?

The wall to the right is brick. The wall straight ahead and to the left are both outside walls. The brick wall is the reason the drain for the lav runs all the way to the left, up a bit, and then back all the way to the right. Ditto for the vent.

Thank in advance for the advice...

-Zach

Attachments

• powder_room_plumbing.jpg
    powder_room_plumbing.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Zach said:
... closet is wet vented... .... The brick wall is the reason the drain for the lav runs all the way .... Ditto for the vent...
are you sure that the right hand side (brick wall) is exerting an influence on the pipes to such an extent that it forces the pipes to go over to an opposite wall? I can't see what else might be on the far left wall. Doesn't make sense to me.

is the vent going up in that middle wall a true vent, with only air in it? Your mentioning wet venting is what makes me want to double check this. The WC flange being close enough to the lav drain Wye, to be "wet" vented, is OK, if that is the only thing you were saying.

david

Zach

Reaction score
The powder room is an old addition. The house is brick. I suppose it was not feasible to run the drain inside the brick wall. Also, due to the way the addition is supported, it doesn't appear it was feasible to take the short route to where the lav ultimately resides. That's all I meant by the drain going all the way to the left, up, and then all the way to the right.

The vent is truly only a vent. There is a separate stack for the kitchen and upstairs bath. (which tie together above the second floor.)

It seems the configuration is okay. I guess my only question now lies with how best to deal with the cast level section of cast iron.

-Zach

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you look on the website for the dognuts, there must be 50 or more sizes, often in gradations of maybe 1/16". Few, if any places carry all of them. CI hubs are standard only in the fact that they are big enough to hold a CI pipe and allow room for the oakum and lead. My gist to this is that getting the right dognut might be a problem, but you may luck out. Get one too loose and it leaks, get one too tight and you either won't get it installed or it will be a major bear. It looks like there may be enough room to snap or cut off the pipe to the right of where you have it marked, or you could do it to the left...you don't need that much for a no-hub. if you're lucky, the pipe is in good condition and won't crush instead, then you'll need to go further back until you find solid material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks