Guinevere leaks at base - not a new install

Users who are viewing this thread

willmed

Reaction score
I bought this toilet from Terry 5 or 6 months ago and installed it myself then with no problems and no leaks. I was out of town last week when my wife called to tell me it was leaking at the base on the right side as you face it. I had her check the supply and all was fine so told her to shut it off and not use it.

I turned the supply on this morning and used it a few times with no leaks. Base is very solid - no rocking. Put dry tissue under supply and at tank but no drips. After about 5 hours, there was a puddle along the right side of the base as she had described [opposite side of fill valve] Water did looked like it came from bowl, not tank - it was a little discolored.

When I installed it, I put wax ring firmly on floor, then screwed Toto's plastic flange to wood floor, then put vaseline on toilet gasket and easily slipped toilet onto flange. It has worked perfect since January. The double rinse cyclone system rinses very well and my wife loves the CEFIONTECT - it doesn't leave skid marks at all.

Before I pull this toilet could this be caused by an obstruction? I have a 12 year old who would never admit to it but anything's possible. I have a good closet auger but am leery of using it in the Toto's convoluted trapway. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Will

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did the instructions say to use Vaseline on the gasket?

willmed

Reaction score
As far as I remember that's what the directions said. Of course now I'm worried that the petroleum ate the rubber seal, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said to use.

I'll have to look for the directions to see. Of course, now my wife is out of town and who knows if she filed them under t[oilet], b[athroom], g[uinevere], t[oto], p[lumbing] or h[ouse repair]. It's always a guess with her.

Any other suggestions before I pull it tonight and look?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
thought I would give the other guys something to comment on, something are pretty basic. And this in one of those.

Most of the time, when someone calls saying there is discolored water at the base, I ask,

Is it happening other places? like the shower or the tub?
If so, it could be a mainline backup. In the Spring and Early Summer, more roots are growing.

Or, has someone been missing?

That happens more than you think.
I had one job that required me to keep pulling the bowl on an old Amerian Standard One-piece, until I finally told him that he had to turn the light on when he used the bathroom. There are only so many times you need to replace a good seal.

If those two things are not the cause, then you would be thinking bad seal at the flange. When it was installed, did the wax contact both the floor and the flange to make a tight seal?

I doubt that the rubber seal of the Unifit is at issue here. It's a little higher than the lower part of the trapway bend. It's like a funnel that accepts water from above. I can't see it being an issue unless, it's a mainline backup.

The trapway on the Toto is one of the best as far as smooth rounded bends and uniform and round sizing. A closet auger zips right through them. Unlike most other brands.

flange_03.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks