Convert draft vent WH to power vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Code0

Reaction score
I had my water heater replaced last December with a Ruud PH2-40PF (the old one finally got a leak). I replaced my furnace and A/C about a month ago - the A/C died and the furnace was about 30 years old.

Anyway, the new furnace is a 95% direct vent model and all I have on the current chimney is the WH. At some point, I'd like to remove the chimney (the house is 50 years old - I think the current chimney is just metal vent pipe with no brick).

Is there any way to add a power vent to this model, or does the unit need to be replaced with one that was designed for a power vent from the factory? Thanks!

I will say right now that I had a draft vent unit installed since the old one was under home warranty and I couldn't afford the cost difference at the time. A new WH for $60 installed was a good deal in the winter.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The control and safety circuits for a power vent are so complicated that the cost to retrofit them to an existing furnace would likely exceed the cost of a new furnace. Also, because it would be impossible to get AGA or GAMA certification on a retrofitted furnace, there are legal, code, and insurance issues. There may be companies who tell you they can do this. I would not go there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like commercial stuff. I would stand by my comment that the cost to put this on a residential unit would be prohibitive. Probably need a new gas valve, because the typical water heater gas valve does not have any kind of interface connections necessary for the safety circuits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks