Remote control load switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
I have a question. I have a swamp cooler which has a two speed fan on it which is wired to a switch that turns it either on high or off. It's load is 11.5 Amps. Is there some kinde of remote control available to switch this big of a load between high and low? I'd prefer to not run a 14/3 cable. Ideas?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
As I understand the problem, you want to install a remote switch of some kind that will allow you to control the swamp cooler and allow the full OFF-LOW-HIGH-OFF sequence. If that's the case, you've got to install a switch and run a cable of some kind.

The simplest way by far is to run the 14-3, but you could install a simple pushbutton switch, and run a small wire to pick a stepping relay that would advance one position with each push of the switch.

Another possible solution is a wireless controller of some kind, a la the X-10 family, or maybe something even fancier these days. Start with Google.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks