PVC Vs ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi,

I've taken up the slab in basement to plumb new bathroom and am curious as to which type of drain pipe is best for under concrete PVC or ABS? Which do you use and why?

Thanks

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
It dont really matter under the concrete,

if you make some runs to some re-vents above concrete

I prefer the PVC sch40 becasue it does not

catch fire as bad as the ABS...

abs burns like a log, PVC only smoulders

both will last about 450 years

ABS, on the other hand, doesn't expand or contract like PVC...here we use pvc almost exclusively.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
PVC and ABS are both readily and equally available here both at the suppliers and at the home centers; but ABS is the norm here for residential drainage. And most guys seem to use the cellcore stuff. I get an upset look every time I make the guys at the supply house get solidcore ABS because its high up on the pipe racks.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Conversely,we are not allowed to use ABS here,the inspectors rationale is that ABS gives off noxious fumes when it burns.Nobody here sells any ABS except for the trailer supply houses.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Interesting topic, when people from all across the country can chime in.
I'd rather use ABS, because it doesn't expand/contract like PVC...yet nobody has it stocked here, despite the fact that it's legal...makes ya wonder why it's different from one area to the next?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks