Question about meeting new floor level

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnnybeltway

Reaction score
Folks,
I an new here and please bear with me on any rookie mistakes. I am re-doing our mater bathroom with tile. I have attched a picture of the toilet flange. The PVC waste pipe sits inside the floor flange (see pitcure) so in that repsct I dot think it is a true "closet flange".

I have to reinforce the floor with a 3/8" layer of plywood due to my joist spacing to prevent the tile from cracking. I also will be using Ditra rather than backer board. The current flange will sit even with the new layer of plywood (approximatley). So I will need to raise the flange about 1/2" so I can accomodate the Ditra and tile.

My question is Do I have to take out the pipe and splice a new longer piece to come up flush with the floor? I was in lowes yesterday and I saw the spacer kits that sit on top of the flanges which also came with rubber gaskets that go between them. They seem like they can do the trick. The thing I worry about is leaking.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Toilet FLange.JPG
    Toilet FLange.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 326

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would cut the old flange off and extend the pipe but doing so requires you have enough pipe below the floor to accept the coupling and then later the closet flange...
If the closet bend is too close to the floor you will not be able to get both on..
Do you have access to the underside of the floor?
If so you can cut the closet bend off and attach a new one with a coupling and piece of pipe to extend the riser above the floor level...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flange is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor and be anchored through it into the subfloor. You can compensate for a flange that is slightly too low, but while you are in the position you are in, the smart thing would be do what you have to do to raise the flange to the proper height. If you have access to the drain line under the floor, just cut it off, put in a coupler, a piece of pipe, new closet bend, and a length of pipe. Stuff a rag in the pipe until the floor is laid, then cut it so the flange will set properly, making sure the slots for the flange bolts are oriented so the toilet will set straight before glueing and screwing the it down. Oh yeah! Take the rag out before setting the toilet!

Johnnybeltway

Reaction score
Well the thing is I dont really have access to the underside. That being said..how could I cut this thing off from above. The next question is how much pipe is "enough" to accept the all that I will need?

...this bathroom will be the death of me...

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks