Available Berkeley Submersible Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

UrbanHomesteader

Reaction score
Hello all. In a storage area of a Thrift Shop I discovered 3 Berkeley 4" submersible pumps brand new in sealed boxes: S15SP4C02 J-04; 15 GPM; 2 Wire; 1/2 HP; 1Phase, 60 Hz. according to the sticker seal label. I asked the people why they didn't have them on display and she remarked that "the $200 for them is out of reach for most people in a thrift shop and space being limited, they're keeping them back for safe storage."

I couldn't find anything about these online so I ask the experts: Go for it or pass? Please keep in mind money is tight and I have nothing yet but a sealed 6" hole in the ground. It is a 500' w/25' static level and expected to yield 60 gpm. The drillers suggested installation at 80' As always, thanks all.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If your water level does not pull down any deeper than 20' and you only use a 20/40 pressure switch, this pump will work. If the water pulls down deeper than 20', or you want to use a 30/50 or higher pressure switch, these pump do not build enough head or pressure. A 10 GPM ½ HP pump would build more pressure and pump from 80' no problem. This is probably why they have never sold these pumps. I have some 5 GPM pumps in 2 and 3 HP that I have never been able to sell for just the opposite reason. Pumps have to match your conditions fairly close or they are doing you no good.

However, the ½ HP motors can be put on a 10 GPM pump end and will work just fine. If the motors are more than 2 or 3 years old, they may be low on cooling fluid. I would have a motor company top off the fluid and check them out before installing. But, by the time you do this, you might as well get a new motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks