Tile Color variation????

Users who are viewing this thread

donnaT413

Reaction score
Hi, I went today looking at tile and fell in love with a set that the place had on display. I spent hours trying to match a countertop, trim, paint, etc to this tile, and when I was finally ready to order, they bring out the actual pieces.....the wall and floor tiles did not match! The ones on display were perfectly matched, but the actual tiles they brought me were diffferent shades. They claim it's the different "lots" or whatever, and tried to tell me it was not that noticeable, but it definately was. The wall tiles were a completely different shade than the floor tiles. It is possible to ask the store to order a new set for me (they have these already in stock) so that the lot might actually match? I dont want to be rude or presumptuous if this is not something a store would do. Ever hear of this? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When buying tile, you want them all to be from the same lot. This is not possible with different type of tile, even from the same manufacturer usually. Try this question over at www.johnbridge.com, maybe you'll get some other ideas.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
stores get their tiles from distributors. If this is a firm order, they can call the distributor and get both floor and wall tiles in one lot.

If you can reassure them you'll accept whatever that lot looks like, without seeing it, and pay in advance, then I think you can have both sets of tiles from the same lot. Otherwise you'd have to pay the return fee, e.g. maye 25% just to see them first.

I don't know that this is what will happen. Things work differently from one place to another.

David

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Hassle is, floor tile and wall tile are likely made at different times, so lot numbers may not mean anything except in the same type. A call to the manufacturer might clear this up as to whether it is even possible.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Note that floor tile can be used on walls, but wall tiles can't be used on the floor. Maybe the easiest solution is to buy all floor tile from the same lot. the finish on floor tile is harder, along with the body of the tile. It usually is less slippery if it gets wet as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks