Closet flange problems

Users who are viewing this thread

tylersmith

Reaction score
I recently decided to replace our second-floor toilet, which is original to the 40-year-old house. When I took the toilet off, I noticed that the closet bolts wobbled, and that the closet flange was broken and decayed so badly that it could not be repaired. I chipped away at it, ultimately was able to remove the basly rusted screws that were holding it to the floor, and removed it.

Now, I have a pipe coming out of the floor with a pronounced lip on it around the edges. (It looks like it might be the inner-portion of the old flange, but I'm not sure.) The top of the lip is a half inch or more above the floor.

I'm not sure what to do from here. I am reading posts that say to be careful not to crack the pipe, and my local Home Depot did not seem to have anything that would fit in or around what remains.

Any advice is appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

I must be a cast iron flange, and if so, a plumber can easily install a new one, but it is usually a task the DIY'er does not have the equipment to do.

tylersmith

Reaction score
I have tried, but could not post pictures here. They were too big for this site. I have posted them on Google.

Here are the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/lairdga/Flange

A little more information about my problem:

I have nothing bolted to the floor at this point, because I took out the outer portion of the closet flange (the part that bolts to the floor and holds the closet bolts). The closet bolts also have nothing to fit into for the same reason.

If I place a brass ring (home depot sells) on top of what is left of the old closet flange, then there would be a significant gap between the ring and the floor. I could place some plywood underneath that, but that doesn't seem to be the right solution.

I truly would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

tylersmith

Reaction score
Thanks.

It is both a cast iron pipe, and a cast iron flange. They are fit so tightly together that I could not tell they were separate until taking the side view pictures and studying them carefully.

I went to the store today and bought a new ring and plywood. I'm going to try to cut the wood to shape, attach wood and new ring to floor, and fit the toilet over the whole contraption... with lots of silicone and wax.

Am I nuts? I just don't see trying to cut out the old flange.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
A better option might be to hire a plumber to come out, remove the old flange and lead on a new one...
The joint between the flange and pipe is lead and oakum - an older style of joining pipe and you would not be advised to try it yourself...
Another option is the 'split' repair flanges that open and then slip around the old one then screw back together...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks