Is Marine cable the same as Submersible?

Users who are viewing this thread

UrbanHomesteader

Reaction score
Hello all, I am collecting and putting together equipment for my first well and was attempting to purchase 12/3 Submersible Cable. The store didn't have any but the saavy salesman was trying to get me to substitute marine cable focusing on how the copper was "tinned" as a measure of added security. I told him I had to research it and left empty-handed. Help! ! !

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The marine cable being "tinned" probably has something to do with its potential for "evaporation" when exposed to salt water. While once helping to re-float a boat, I twisted some bare copper wires together underwater in the Atlantic and ran them up to a battery ... only to soon discover (after the pump quit) that the exposed ends of the wires had disappeared completely!

If the marine wire is submersible and of the proper size and capacity, I would guess it should be fine ... and there are one or more folks here I have heard tell others that UF could also be okay.

UrbanHomesteader

Reaction score
Much thanks for the help. As we were blind-sided with the necessity of digging this well, it was $2,000 over budget so money is tight and an issue. I searched for days online and the best I could find for 200' of 12/3 submersible is $.97 a foot and/or for Direct Burial was $.81 a foot which includes the shipping. I ruled out the big boxes just because of the "gray goods" concept. At the Old Tyme Hardware store he had the Marine for $.78 and DB (UF) for $.63 a foot. That's not factoring in the have-it-in-my-possession-immediately or the risks with delayed shipping. The $20 or so could be used towards the small things like the inserts, torque arrestor, etc. as I'm still trying to work out a payment plan for the driller's balance. Y'alls help and opinions are invaluable and greatly appreciated. How I long just to go the plumbing supply with a laundry list and let them utilize their expertise.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You probably won't get much expertise in a plumbing supply unless you want to install a sink or water closet. A well drilling supply would be better suited to buying these things locally. Problem is, most wholesalers won't sell to the general public. It makes their regualar customers very unhappy.

I would check to see what kind of sub cable your buying as opposed to the cost of same. There are good and not so good cables out there. Torque arrestors are a joke, as are safety ropes and cables, so you can save a few bucks there. Just buy a good roll of black vinyl electrical tape to tape the wire to the pipe every ten feet or so.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks