Sizing pipe for a new hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

darmstro

Reaction score
O' Great Plumbing Sages:

I'm about to install a new hose bib so that I don't have to drag a 75' hose around the yard anymore. The location for the new hose bib is about 25' from the nearest 3/4" cold water branch. This existing branch serves the kitchen sink, a bar sink, and an existing backyard hose bib.

Which one of the following is the best approach?:

a) Insert a 3/4" Tee in this branch and run 3/4" pipe to within a few feet of the hosebib and then reduce to 1/2" pipe to serve the hose bib.

b) Insert a 3/4" Tee in this branch and run 1/2" pipe to the new hose bib.

Or, should I avoid this branch completely and run 3/4" pipe to a location closer to the meter entrance (which is about 40' from the new hose bib location)?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hosebib is considered 2.5 fixture units. 1/2" would be fine for it.

I have also run them with 3/4", but it was mainly to slow the water through the pipe. Less speed, less noise.
I notice that the last one I installed in my home, which was run with 1/2" PEX, is very quiet.
The previous ones that are run with copper 1/2" make more noise.
All three are washerless Legend frostfree hosebibs.

legend_hosebib.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks