Stuck Pump!

Users who are viewing this thread

kanter telemir

Reaction score
The well is 100 or 120' with the submersible pump at 80' [22'water table].

The pump failed [circuit broken, no above ground wiring/voltage problems and replaced the control panel].

After freeing the down-pipe and electricals, we proceeded to hand-pull the well. It seemed to be wedged but we attempted to break it free, to no avail.

We next employed a hand wench, which did yield maybe 1.5' of exposed pipe, but I could feel the tension building on the wench which suggests pipe stretching to me. DEFINITELY not wanting to break the pipe, I backed off, repeated but had the same resulting tension...the exposed pipe remains exposed [not dropping back down].

Any suggestions regarding how to break the pump free so we can pull it?

Thanks!

kanter telemir

Reaction score
The pipe is black flexible poly of some sort.

The wire does not appear to be attached [as far down as I can see].

I did try pushing down, not very forcefully, and it didn't want to budge. I'll give that a more serious attempt along with twisting.

Thanks! *crosses fingers and a couple of toes*

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
I think speed bump was asking the wire question to see if maybe you did not pull on the wire and pipe evenly to start, and it might have collected and bound the motor against the casing.

How much pipe did you get out of the ground by hand? Did you pull the wire with the pipe?

Be very carefull pulling too hard on poly pipe, you are two clamps and a couple barbs from pulling the whole thing loose.

If you can't lift it by the wire and pipe together, you might need some sticks of pipe to slide down the casing to try and pound down on the pump and motor. Try pouring water in on the whole thing to lubricate it maybe....

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Pouring water etc. can cause rust scale on steel casing to create more blockage.

Yes pull the cable with the pump.

Look on the PE pipe and see what the rating is. If it is less than 160 psi be very careful but 160 or higher, and double hose clamped, it takes a lot of pulling to pull the pump off.

Push it back down and rotate it both directions to get it to free up and past the 'blockage'. And don't pull it so hard to get it blocked the next time. I've pulled pumps to 145' alone, by hand. They were in water until like the last 50' but I quit eventually (read I got smarter) but you can feel when it starts to drag harder so rotate and don't lodge it tight; finesse it rather than bullying it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks