(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: table or chart for AWG

Hybrid View

Default table or chart for AWG

Anyone has a link for a chart for how many amps each AWG can handle in both Aluminum and copper? i am looking for something that can handle 60amp, 100amp, and 200amp
    thanks

Default wire

Single wire or 3 wire cable, and what is the length and ambient temperature?

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Also, what is it being used for? A service gets sized quite differently from a branch circuit. As does an A/C or motor.

There is NO blanket chart such as as you ask. It would be impossible and inaccurate.

well i hired a contractor to run a 200amp and a 100amp into my 2 family house.
    and from what i can tell he is running a #4AWG alum wire for the 100amp main panel from the meter. I thought that wire is only rated for 60amp? The run is only like 4 feet from the meters to the 2 main panels. I just want to make sure he is running the correct wire and i wont have a problem when i start to pull 80 - 90 amps out of that panel because HVAC systems are going in next week. I live in NJ just out side of Manhattan.
    Last edited by hids2000; 07-27-2007 at 05:13 AM.

If it is being inspected like it should be the inspector will not pass it if it does not meet code.

yes, the work will be inspected. It is more for my own personal info. If the contractor used a wire that is not up to code I would like to get that fixed while he is still here and i didn't give him the final payment yet. God knows if he will come back once he get all the money.

This is what I can read from the side of the cable.

(UL) 2 CDR AWG 2-1 CDR AWG 4 COMPACT ALUMAFLEX TYPE XHHW-2 CDRS 600 VOLTS (TM) AA8176
    Last edited by hids2000; 07-27-2007 at 05:31 AM.