New shower drain into existing laundry drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

jsr

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a new standup shower stall on the same first floor as an existing nearby laundry room. So could I conveniently drain the shower into the 2" laundry drain line in the basement that pass right by the location of the new shower stall? I'd plan on installing a 2" drain pipe and trap from the shower unit and Y into the existing 2" laundry line.
Thanks,
John

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
jsr said:
I'm planning to install a new standup shower stall on the same first floor as an existing nearby laundry room. So could I conveniently drain the shower into the 2" laundry drain line in the basement that pass right by the location of the new shower stall? I'd plan on installing a 2" drain pipe and trap from the shower unit and Y into the existing 2" laundry line.
Thanks,
John

if you can fit a 2" p-trap and still get 1/4" per ft. of fall, and vent it, it should be okay. the only other issue is if other fixtures tie into that 2" line.

If there was a tub or shower there before, there should be a vent already and you could tie into it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Where are you located? Florida code, which is loosely based on the international code prohibits venting a bathroom fixture with a non-bathroom fixture (2004 FPC 909.1). If you could get a vent in to service the bathroom you'd be good to go.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would check to see if you can tie into the drain - if your tie in is closer than 8' you might be out of luck (sudsing fixture)...
As well, you would have to vent the shower on it's own (use a combo on the drain line with a san-tee above it then vent out the top and swing the trap arm to the shower drain.)

jsr

Reaction score
I'm in Connecticut. Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll rely on local authorities on the definitive word.
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks