Submersible Well Pump: Best Makers?

Users who are viewing this thread

hosea

Reaction score
What suggestions are there for a replace submersible well pump?
I have been using a Goulds Submersible Pump powered by a Franklin Submersible Motor ½ hp on a 230v circuit since 1984. It continues to work well, no pun intended, but are these two companies still top of the line? I want to be ready with some suggestions when that day of necessity arrives.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I like Betta Flo and practically all the other pumps are the same. Some have all stainless shells and suctions and discharges, some have plastic suctions and discharges, some cast iron. They practically all have stainless shells. If not, stay away from them. Stay away from any big box pump or tank. Make sure the pump still has a Franklin motor. You definately don't want a Tesla motor or the new motor built jointly by Pentair or ITT. It's brand new and not tested, I'm sure there will be bugs to iron out for some time to come.

hosea

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope others will offer their input into my question. Always good to have additional advice.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It sounds as if you are asking for opinion more than advice from pros. IMO, nothing built today is as good, or will give service free operation as long, as the same name did 25 yrs ago. A... car/PU/SUV bodies last longer IF you don't lean on them, or if nothing heavier than a bird lands on them... I guess I should have said they don't rust.

I sold Gould's pumps for 18 yrs. I do not believe the pumps of today will last 25+ yrs as yours may but, I think Franklin is the best motor. The wet end is one part and the motor is the other.

hosea

Reaction score
Some good info. I am making copies so when my pump goes, I will be able to help make the choice of pump and motor.
I wonder if I should consider replacing it now or just wait for the frozen New England day in January when it fails to do it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumps never fail at a good time. They always fail after 5 PM, on weekends, holidays, or when the temperature is super cold. Even replacing the old pump now, does not guarantee that it will not stop on Thanksgiving day when you have a house full of company. It is always good to have a backup plan.

My neighbor and I have an agreement. There is a pipe under the fence that joins our two systems. There is a ball valve in a valve box under the fence that either of us can reach. Anytime my pump stops, I just open the valve and borrow from the neighbor, and he can do the same. If it is not cold, you can simply run a garden hose from one of your outside faucets to one on the neighbors house and do the same thing.

I also have a little weekend place out in the country where I have two wells, so I always have a backup. All of these wells are equipped with Cycle Stop Valves, so they are very dependable and long lasting. However, even if they only fail once in 20 years, it is still going to be at the very worst time possible.

A cistern with a low level alarm will also give you a day or two of stored water after the well pump goes out. I would keep an extra cistern pump on hand, just in case.

Pump companies make pumps and motors to sell and make money, not to last as you would think they should. You simply can no longer buy a pump that is built like they were in the 60's. The best thing you can do is limit the cycling as much as possible, and have a backup plan in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks