(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: help with tub/shower faucet problem

Hybrid View

Default help with tub/shower faucet problem

Hi guys, my first post so please go easy on me...

specs: 3 handle tub/shower faucet, don't know the brand, it's old (looking at least)

our upstairs shower is making this banging/machine-gun like sound everytime someone turns it on ever so slightly, but once it's turned all the way, the sound goes away too. not sure if it's the hot or cold valve (still have to check). it's the guest bath and it rarely gets used.

my questions are:

1.what is causing this?
    2. is this something that can cause major damage to anything if not fixed ASAP?
    3. can I just replace it with any other/different brand 3-handle faucet without ripping out the tiles

thanks in advance

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Sometimes it's as easy as replacing the washers on the valvestem...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Determine whether it is the hot or cold side. Turn off the water to the shower. Remove the hot or cold handle (you may need a handle puller) Remove the trim (tube, escutcheon, etc.) Unscrew the valve stem using the correct socket. Replace the bibb washer (rubber washer on the bottom of the stem) Tighten the washer down good. Re-install everything and turn the water back on.
    Attached Images Attached Images