Well water blues

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Greetings~ thanks for all previous help. I have been waiting for results from the second part of my well water testing, the inorganics. They all appear fine, at least below allowable thresholds. It is the bacteria test (which was positive for total coliform, negative for fecal) that still hovers over me. With limited funds, I have been opposing the treatment options. After all, we have been drinking it for two years now and no problems. One of you said to add unscented chlorine bleach, another said don't do anything if its not hurting us, but to be careful of infants. I have stopped using the brita filter (we also have been using them for two years with no problems) since I now know it breeds the bacteria. But now that I stopped using brita, NOTHING is filtering the water. It just doesn't seem right. One thing I DO know: I want to install a whole house filter to reduce the iron deposits that rusted out my hot water heater and stain the toilet. With the very simple set up I have (well, to gould pump, to welltrol tank, to tap) where do you guys suggest I put the whole house filter? And are the ones you get at Lowes and Home Depot acceptable? As far as the bacteria situation, what would you do?

CHH

Reaction score
On the whole house filter questions: If you really want to reduce iron the whole house filters from the Lowes or HD won't help a bit. They're just paper element filters intended to stop particles.

AFAIK, the proper treatment for coliform is to treat the well with bleach. It's cheap so why not give it a try? If the coliform returns then it's time to think about more exotic solutions.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what your situation is, whether you just moved in or what, but you can get the same readings by contaminating the sample or if the pipes have been full of the same water for some time (like a vacant house), so flushing for a while then doing a retest may bring some good results. Other than smelling a little ripe, the coliform isn't harmful in itself. And a lot of times when there is too much bacteria in the water they just use the coliform term or use the TNTC (too numerous to count) statement.

CHH is giving you the straight scoop on the inline filters. They won't work. Whoever coined the phrase "Whole house filters" for a filter that was intended for use on one faucet knew well how to bilk the public.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
i knew it was hogwash

thanks much.

brief history: we moved in two years ago. right before we moved in, the well was tested positive for total coliform. it was "shocked" with chlorine bleach and retested negative. two years went by, my wife and I drink the water using a brita filter (we have since stopped using it). However, I had it tested a couple weeks ago for peace of mind. it tested positive again for total coliform. we still drink it. i won't be installing any whole house filter per your advice. cheers!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Once a well is found to have Coliform bacteria and it's shocked, the bacteria usually returns in a number of days to weeks after all the chlorine is out of the ground/water around/in the well. It's rare that it doesn't return; it got there somehow this time and bleach poured down the well in the yard does nothing to prevent the migration to the well.

Coliform bacteria doesn't harm us or pets/animals. It is an indicator of the high probability of dangerous bacteria in the water (AT ANY POINT IN TIME); this stuff comes and goes with precipitation levels and water use (yours and locally) etc..

Shocking is at best a temporary 'fix', used to get through closing in many instances... $2.00 or less for some bleach and a Coliform test two days later that says Hey, no bacteria, WE'RE HOME FREE BABY! and the problem passes to the buyer three weeks to a couple years after moving in when the wife, baby or puppy/dog is sick and another test is done.

I've been treating Coliform bacteria contaminated wells for 20 years (many under PA DEP rules and regs requiring quarterly water testing). A bacteria contaminated well is not a biggie, you do drive or ride in a car/PU or SUV at a speed higher than you can safely jump out at right? Nor is treating a bacteria contaminated well difficult. It can be inexpensive based on what else and how much of it is in the water, like iron etc..

A good choice is my inline pellet chlorinator, a special mixing tank, and a backwashed Centaur (carbon) filter. The filter must be sized for your peak demand flow rate. That system kills all types of bacteria and oxidizes and then removes iron, manganese and H2S gas etc. and produces very clear taste and odor free water through out the house.

The maintenance is to clean the chlorinator and add pellets every few months and depending on the iron content, drain 5-10 gals of water from the bottom of the mixing tank once a month with a garden hose or piece of one. You can use a floor drain or 5 gal bucket.

Actually properly treated if needed private well water is better quality than 'city' water. It is also less expensive even with the cost of pumping it yourself and the cost of water treatment equipment factored in. On average most 'city' water requires at least the same size softener (water treatment) as the same house with its own well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks