Losing prime on a shallow well overnight

Users who are viewing this thread

1jackw

Reaction score
I have a 15 foot shallow well. I installed a new 1hp Sears jet pump with a brand new check valve attached about 1 foot away from the pump. I can prime the pump in 30 seconds and pump water at 12.5 gpm for as long as I want to. When I close the valve, the psi remains steady at 55psi. The next day when I open the valve, water empties out of the pump, pressure drops below 40psi, which kicks on the pump. The psi slowly drop to 20psi, and after 20-30 seconds, the water stops coming and the psi drops to 0. Any ideas how I can keep the prime? Since the psi holds at 55 I don't think there could be a leak at the pump. Does that mean there is an air leak on the other side of the check valve?

Speedbump

Reaction score
That would be my guess. If you beat this point into the ground, you may stop the leak by turning the pipe coming out of the ground clockwise. You should have been doing this all the time you were beating it into the ground, to keep the joints as tight as possible. The joints should have been butted inside the coupling so they wouldn't loosen easily.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks