piping for condensate drain, good or bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

northman

Reaction score
Just posted this in the plumbing forum, then figured out it may be more appropriate here.

Just had a new high-efficiency natural-gas furnace installed, with no suitable drain available for the condensate a pump was installed and the condensate is pumped up a pipe and out the side of the house to drain into the dirt.

2 questions - knowing the condensate is acidic, should I keep the drain a minimum distance from the side of the house? Can the acid harm a concrete foundation wall?

The HVAC guys piped it up with PVC, and then connected into an existing 3/4" copper pipe that exits out the side, can the acid have a problem with the copper pipe? Should I replace the copper so it is PVC all the way?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

poorplmbr

Reaction score
the acid will indeed have a reaction with the copper......there should be a neutralizer on the condensate line before the pump,but my concern is more with freezing of the pump discharge line in winter....if that happens the pump will not operate and the pump's sump will overflow causing a flood.I would rather see the discharge going into an indirect waste line or perhaps a laundry sink....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks