removing stand in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

LITTLEAPPLE

Reaction score
removing shower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've purchased an old home and would like to remodel a very small bathroom that has only a stand in shower that looks like a small metal stand in shower that was just pushed against the wall. It has no tile and the pipes go to the outside of the metal shower. They are exposed pipes. My first question is, how easy is it to remove the shower and insert a tub? I have looked at tubs at local home imporvement stores, but they are too big.The tubs I've seen are 60" and we need a tub that is
45" long. Any suggestions of were I could find something smaller and not so expensive? I've googled tubs, pre fabricated tubs, and even claw tubs, there just too much money. When I went to the improvement store I saw a tub thats 60" for under $300. Now, that's a great price.Thanks.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
LITTLEAPPLE said:
removing shower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first question is, how easy is it to remove the shower and insert a tub?

You will have to redo the drain under the floor to the tub drain location. Any other advice regarding swapping these fixtures out would be hard to give without pictures.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the US, a 60-inch tub is the standard. They are made in the millions. Any time you try for something in a different size, the demand isn't as big, the economy of scale isn't there, and it usually ends up costing a lot more.

The smallest tub I've seen is a 54". I doubt you'll find one as small as you think you need. Unless you are a small child, you won't fit. A fair amount of the length is taken up by a rim, and the end size is often 5-6" or more even smaller than the rough-in dimmensions.

I'd look into maybe a seat for the shower you have. Various companies make fold up seats for a shower, and that would allow you a little easier time while in there. The alternative is making the space larger.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The removal part is pretty simple and straight forward. Water pipes have to be capped and the drain disconnected. The replacement with a tub is another matter. Showers stalls like what you describe drain in their center, tubs drain on an end. That means the drain and its P trap must be relocated. That will require revising the drain which can be fairly easy or can be quite difficult. Redoing the water lines is not a very complex job for a plumber. You should understand what JDNASHUA has explained about tub size. Anything but a standard size will not be at all practical. I would suggest that you contact a plumbing company and have a professional evaluation made of the project. There are really quite a few variables that make an accurate on-line estimate very reliable.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not look around for a used tub? Check out your local Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks