Supply Line For Ice Maker

Users who are viewing this thread

jhredman78

Reaction score
I have what seems to me to be a complicated situation. I would llke to use the ice maker in my fridge but the sink is on the opposite side of the kitchen. There are doorways preventing me from routing the supply line along any walls from the sink to the fridge. There is an existing supply line teed off the hot water heater going into the attic that used to go to an evaporative cooler.

I would like to know any suggestions and warnings for routing a supply line through the attic to the fridge and any extra supplies and steps that need to be taken.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had 2 calls recently from people who sustained over $1000 worth of drywall damage from leaks in the 1/4" lines that were run through the attic--1 to a swamp cooler and 1 to a frig ice maker.

Is there a bath sink or laundry room sink or HW tank on the opposite side of the wall that your frig is located? It would be no big deal to drill a hole through the wall if that's the case. Is running the line up from a basement or crawlspace an option?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the question of routing, but a couple of general suggestions on installation of ice maker lines. Do not use a saddle valve and plastic tubing. Use a ball valve and fittings to reduce and adapt to 1/4" copper tubing. I would advise against going through the attic.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
what's underneath? can a line be run from the sink cabinet down and over to the icemaker location?

icemaker_box_pex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffH

Reaction score
Scenario

I was called for a leak in the ceiling of a kitchen. As it turned out, the leak was located above a doorway leading from the kitchen. When I opened the wall up I found the copper ice maker line resting against a nail head that had not been driven in all the way. After many years the copper corroded and caused the leak (Electrolysis). If running in wall is your only option, make sure the copper is well isolated, utilizing proper hangers, away from other metals.

jhredman78

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to say that I have a concrete slab foundation and no known way to get under it.

The fridge location is pretty well isolated from any existing bathroom or other supply lines by the two door ways into the kitchen.

I have a feeling that I will need to do something pretty soon with evaporative cooler supply line. I'm pretty sure that it has just been capped off in the attic since the line is still running from the hot water heater into the attic and the shutoff valve is corroded open.

All of your comments were things I am concerned about and didn't know if there was a best way of handling the situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks