Tile floor closet flange issues. With picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

coyote556

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advise on this. I screwed up and tiled this floor right up to the 3"abs opening in a concrete floor. I bought an inside closet flange for 3" abs, however the problem is the flange has a small shelf on the bottom of it, which makes it sit up too hight off the floor for the toilet to go flush. I was wondering if I could just attach a closet ring to the floor with Tapcons, to hold the toilet bolts in place, and use a wax ring with a horn? As you can see from the pictures, the top edge of the 3" abs is only 3/8" below the level surface of the tile. I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 2007_0724Image0001.JPG
    2007_0724Image0001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 2007_0724Image0003.JPG
    2007_0724Image0003.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you chisel away some of that tile, so your flange will sit flush?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Can you chisel away some of that tile, so your flange will sit flush?

If you can chisel (knock out) enough tile to get your flange to set flush, great. there are a "hundred" different flanges out there and one would problably work for you.

I once found a 3" solid abs closet flange that would fit in my confined space (without the "shelf"). My supplier didn't have what I needed, but when we went to see what they had, I found what I needed. sometimes they put back into stock, products that are returned, and were from other sources.

coyote556

Reaction score
If I start busting on that tile, how big of a risk do I run of it shattering where it will be visible even after the toilet is set?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth a Dremel tool or maybe a rotozip and some craftmanship, you could probably grind away the ridge on the flange that is preventing it from getting flush

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
A diamond wheel on an angle grinder should allow you to score thetile surface and allow you to chip it back enough to put the flange on...

coyote556

Reaction score
I like the diamond wheel idea. As for the inside 3" flange, that is what I am using, however it has a small "shelf" on the bottom side of it and this "shelf" is keeping the flange from going flush with the floor.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
coyote556 , Before you try to chisel the tile use a glass cutter to scribe a line where you want the tile to brake. Like maybe 1/4" out from where the flange would be. Then use a chisel and take out a little at a time. That should do it.

Ron

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
somebody already made a nice clean cut in that tile. It looks like a big notch in a big tile.

Somebody comfortable with a grinder will be able to kick up some dust when they shape that straightedged hole into the shape required to make everything fit.

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

A hammer and a small chisel will remove the tile, but I would NEVER use a flange that inserts into a 3" pipe. I would cut the concrete away on the outside first and use a conventional flange.

E

elvisclock

Using a flange that fits inside a 3" pipe is asking for trouble as you are immediatley reducing the size of the pipe. The same goes with the horned wax rings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks