New product idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Since we got this modular house, we've been having to call a rooter service about every 8 months to open up the main drain. So the last time it happened, we had them use a camera to see what the heck was going on. They discovered that there was one place where the main line leaves the house, that was almost totally clogged with grease.

Apparently the kitchen sink goes to the main line that leaves the house and at that point, the main line meets with a line from the last bathroom before that and the cold water must be hardening the grease at the point where those lines meet.

Since then we've been pouring a capful of this enzyme bacteria liquid down all the toilets and sinks every couple of months to try to prevent that from happening again.

But I had this idea.

We've all seen those 1000 flushes things that you put inside the toilet.

What if they made something like that with enzymes and bacteria in it, so that every toilet flush released a little of it into the water?

Or does anyone make anything like that already?

Melissa
Colorado Process Servers
http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net

Last edited:

CHH

Reaction score
There are garbage disposals that release enzymes. It'd do the same thing as you propose if you happen to use a garbage disposal frequently. As an alternative, running a dishwasher regularly usually keeps the grease at bay because it dumps a lot of hot soapy water.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
CHH said:
There are garbage disposals that release enzymes. It'd do the same thing as you propose if you happen to use a garbage disposal frequently. As an alternative, running a dishwasher regularly usually keeps the grease at bay because it dumps a lot of hot soapy water.

I bet people would buy it, if someone made a bar for inside each toilet tank that did that.

E

elvisclock

You are wasting time and money flushing any type of Bio-Clean or enzyme as flushing it - tends to do just that. It is carried away to fast to work.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
palmstate said:
You are wasting time and money flushing any type of Bio-Clean or enzyme as flushing it - tends to do just that. It is carried away to fast to work.

But isn't that what the makers recommend?

bio-clean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
there are auto injection systems that can be set up under a sink. I worked for a rooter company for awhile and they leased the units to the customer and then charged for the refills every 3 months or so.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You're not supposed to be putting that much grease down a drain! And if you are flushing grease with hot water, that is a receipe for disaster, because it only gets so far before the line cools and the grease hardens.

I would not suggest to people that putting an enzyme feed on the drain is a subsitute for proper use of the plumbing!

Cookie

Reaction score
Not trying to be smart here Melissa but don't you wonder if the grease is stuffing up your plumbing as such what the heck it is doing to your arteries? Just a suggestion in reducing the useage of the grease? Olive oil is much better to use for most things.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The septic products are likely ALL Bollocks.
I read an entire book on septic tanks and issues before installing my
concrete tank last summer.

I've also gotten great advice from pros here for 2 years. (emphasis on "The Pros")

That being said...if I had one piece of advice it's very simple:

TRY NOT TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN THE DRAIN UNLESS YOU'VE RUN IT THROUGH YOUR BODY FIRST.

Save your money---our bodies are Bacteria factories. Why complicate
things.

I save/freeze all fat and by products---it makes delicious dog food.

Mike

Cookie

Reaction score
Mike, I got to ask the question I know everyone is wondering...
how do you know this? :)

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
jimbo said:
You're not supposed to be putting that much grease down a drain! And if you are flushing grease with hot water, that is a receipe for disaster, because it only gets so far before the line cools and the grease hardens.

I would not suggest to people that putting an enzyme feed on the drain is a subsitute for proper use of the plumbing!

We're not putting that much grease down it, just regular garbage disposal stuff. But it's been clogging like I said, about every 7-8 months.

This time, after 2 attempts by others, the third company came along and used the camera and when they saw the clog, pulsed it out with a special water jet, which completely cleared it.

I have no idea why it does it though.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Cookie said:
Not trying to be smart here Melissa but don't you wonder if the grease is stuffing up your plumbing as such what the heck it is doing to your arteries? Just a suggestion in reducing the useage of the grease? Olive oil is much better to use for most things.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. We don't use "grease" in foods, this is all just stuff that the garbage disposal grinds up, maybe that's helping cause it.

Molo

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
The septic products are likely ALL Bollocks.
I read an entire book on septic tanks and issues before installing my
concrete tank last summer.

I've also gotten great advice from pros here for 2 years. (emphasis on "The Pros")

That being said...if I had one piece of advice it's very simple:

TRY NOT TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN THE DRAIN UNLESS YOU'VE RUN IT THROUGH YOUR BODY FIRST.

Save your money---our bodies are Bacteria factories. Why complicate
things.

I save/freeze all fat and by products---it makes delicious dog food.

Mike

I like the standard for what is and isn't considered drain compatible. Although, in terms of drainage, if you aren't on a septic, and you don't care what your putting into your municipal system, bacteria is irrelevant. Movement or Drainage of matter is. Whether it's a bean seed full of bacteria or a large grain of sand, the ability for it to be washed downstream is the concern in this instance. Grease ain't good, and alot of other things that drain "easy" aren't good either. They don't just disappear. A local municipality is concerned about their well supplyed water because of it's downstream location of the municipal sewer plant.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why not just put a grease trap in? The cost of the rooter service just once would probably pay for the trap. I have one under my kitchen...open it up about twice a year and scrape the goo out of it. I dont dump grease in the sink either, but I also have a disposer, and after seeing the crud that builds up in the grease trap from just the disposer, I can only imagine how greatful my septic tank and my sewer lines feel not having to deal with this stuff.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I was a youth, I lived on a farm with a septic tank. I learned very early never to put grease into a drain. Later when I married and moved into the city, I thought a garbage disposal was a wonderful invention. After a few years, I came to realize that they cause more problems than they are worth. The things that can go into a disposal can just as easily go into a plastic garbage bag. I keep a covered jar on by the sink for grease which when filled is placed in the garbage. I've lived in my home for 35 years and have yet to have a clogged drain. I'm not a crusader against disposals, just relating my own experience and opinion about them.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:
Mike, I got to ask the question I know everyone is wondering...
how do you know this? :)

Hi Cookie...long time no see!
My point is this: If anyone can show me *independant critical studies* regarding the efficacy of these enzyme products....then I would like to see it....because I will run out to buy some. seriously.

Until such time I'm not interested in slick packaging or delivery systems etc.
I know some people swear by some of these products.
In the absence of evidence and proof I believe it's false confidence in most cases.

The burden of proof is not on me.
It's on those that represent this stuff.

That being said----whoever it was that claimed a "pour down the drain" product would repair a severly damaged leachfield is doing a disservice
at best.

Be good to yourself--do the research:
http://www.amazon.com/Septic-System...4521633?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185372507&sr=8-1

I also think that if you spend a 100 bucks on these products (over the course of a year for example)----your money is better spent paying a plumber to inspect and clean out your pipes.

HTH

Mike50

Last edited:

JeffH

Reaction score
New product idea..

for one, I agree that grease/lard/oils should be tossed and not flushed.

There could be some leveling, bellying or misallignment of the pipes there, or something else that is preventing smooth drainage. I know plenty of families that use lots of cooking oils, that don't seem to have the same frequent problems. Again grease/lard/oils should always be tosed out. Personally, I save the grease in milk containers, freeze and throw away. Also, if it aint cooked, don't put it down your sink.

You should have that section jetted to remove ALL grease, then have pictures taken. That would allow you to see if any sagging/bellying of the pipes has occurred. In that case, if your going to stay in the house for any length of time, fixing the issue will save you money and stress. Otherwise, manage what goes down the pipes better.

BTW, a 20/30 minute hot shower should help in moving that buildup. I don't 100% agree with the bathroom drainage solidifying the grease at that point. But if that is the case, running the shower hot after sending down oils from the kitchen should almost alleviate the problem. Makes for an interesting experiment.

Good luck in resolving your issue.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi there Mike,

:D I was more like talking about the delicious tasting dogfood, :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks